Please help out a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerookie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post. Although I loved beer for a long time, it wasn't till a few years ago that I began appreciating it and observing it etc. so my questions are very "amature" but hopefully you guys can help me out so that I can continue to appreciate beer.

Sometimes when I'm drinking an american IPA I taste fruits, kinda like tropical fruits. A recent IPA that I noticed it in is the Indica IPA by Lost Coast Breweries. So my question is, does this fruity taste come from Malts? A type of Hops? Or is it an attitive? Generally IPA's are known to be more bitter but I tasted a real strong fruit presence and wondering what the source is. If someone can help me out that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome. It's hops. There are many varieties with a lot of different characters, some of which are "citrusy" or "fruity" or "spicy" etc. American versions of Pale Ale and IPA tend to lean heavy on taste and aroma hops that are fruity and citrusy, as compared to English versions.

It's mostly the hops. Some malts and yeasts can give a slight fruit character to your beer, but these are more subtle than the contribution from the hops, especially in hoppy beers like IPAs.

Thanks guys much appreciated. This will help me out more to appreciate the tastes of beers.

BTW I didn't realize till now that there was a beginners section in this forum, next time I will post there. Thanks again.

Back