Please help new kegger!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleephla

Reaction score
So I am as new as new can be to do this kegging stuff. I have a two keg set up but am only filling one of them at the moment. I bought the set up through kegconnection, so it came with the taprite dual gauge regulator, hoses, ect. I've just transferred the beer from the primary to the keg. I've confirmed that everything seems tight (new o-rings, ect) and sealed. I've turned the c02 on and have it set for about 12 psi (planning on doing the set it and forget). There was about 3-5 inches of headspace in the keg after transferring the beer via autosiphon. As the gas is connected to the in and everything seems to be fine, I'm not hearing anything, but the psi shows on the regulator. From the videos I've seen, you're supposed to be able to release the pressure valve to purge the o2 out, but when I pull up the valve, I get nothing. I apologize for the book I'm writing here, but I was hoping to see if anyone could see what I'm doing wrong. I'll post two pictures of where I'm at.. but I'm hoping I can get this thing going quickly.

Thank you for reading!

IMG112.jpg

IMG113.jpg

Pics look right - you do have the co2 tank still "open" right? If so and that isn't working, I would remove the disconnect from the hose and then open the tank and see if air is coming out of hose. You should notice a sound immediately and close the valve. If no air is coming out, remove the regulator from the tank and open the valve. If air comes out of the tank but not the regulator, then you know that the problem is in the regulator.

Tried that and I tried the second connection on the manifold and I can hear the hissing. Normally, do I need to wait a certain amount of time to purge it? Does it need to stay at 12-15 psi for a certain amount of time?

You should be able to purge a keg an instant after it has been pressurized. It won't carb the beer that fast but once you have pressure in the tank, you should be able to release that pressure. It could be the relief valve. Try disconnecting the gas disconnect and use a sanitized object to push the poppet down (releasing pressure through the "gas in" post).

I just used a sanitized knife to press the gas poppet and I heard a little hiss. I've also sprayed some star san out of a water bottle to check for leaks and I don't see anything bubble up. My worry now is that c02 is not getting in the keg and therefore I'll probably have oxidized beer. Is there anyway to know for sure that the co2 is getting in the keg, and if so, how and when do I know when the keg has that blanket of co2 so I stop worrying? ;)

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate them!!

If you are hearing the hissing then the CO2 is definately moving. Does it sound like the keg is leaking somewhere? If the keg is not leaking and you hear the hissing the only thing left to check is the functionality of the pressure relief valve itself. If the keg is pressurized you should not be able to easily open it back up. Try it. If you can't then your pressure relief valve is not working or you are not pulling it up far enough.

Hmm? Do you happen to have the CO2 line on the beer out tube? Even then you would more than likely hear some gurggling. But worth a shot.

Normally when CO2 is flowing it sort of hums, like water pipes do at times.

Try boosting the pressure to 30psi and wait 20-30 seconds and then try the burp again. It might just be that your keg didn't seal at the lid. Sometimes it takes a boost in pressure to snug the lid and seal. But you would also normally hear air hissing out of the lid if it isn't sealing.

Just my $.02

Also, don't be afraid to crank the regulator up to 20-30 psi while doing this testing. It makes it easier to hear any leaks as well as seating the lid gasket. If you can Turn the gas off, then press down on the "gas in" poppet and hold it down until no more gas comes out, then add gas line and turn gas back on... Wait a few seconds and repeat the procedure. If gas purges from the keg after you have released all the gas and then re-attached co2 - then has is going in and there is an issue with the relief valve.

Is the little ball valve at the manifold in the open position? One of them is closed in your picture, cant tell if it is the one going to your keg.

Hmm? Do you happen to have the CO2 line on the beer out tube? Even then you would more than likely hear some gurggling. But worth a shot.

Normally when CO2 is flowing it sort of hums, like water pipes do at times.

Try boosting the pressure to 30psi and wait 20-30 seconds and then try the burp again. It might just be that your keg didn't seal at the lid. Sometimes it takes a boost in pressure to snug the lid and seal. But you would also normally hear air hissing out of the lid if it isn't sealing.

Just my $.02

I tried again, turned the co2 valve to the left from down, and cranked it up to 30 psi. After about 30 seconds, the pressure relief valve hissed a little bit but not much. It's been running for about 3 mins at 30 psi and I've tried to pull up the pressure relief valve and now I'm not getting a hiss. I'm supposed to get at least a few seconds worth, right? I'm wondering if it is the pressure relief valve that's faulty. I've done the star san spray test, and I don't see anything that's bubbling. How else would one know if the pressure relief valve is faulty?

Is the little ball valve at the manifold in the open position? One of them is closed in your picture, cant tell if it is the one going to your keg.

Yeah, I turned it to the left. Is that right? God I'm so new at this stuff.

I noticed that as well but in post 3 he stated he could hear the hissing. Although I have never tried this, I suppose its possible he could be hearing the hissing from the hose that is not connected to anything if the wrong valve is open.

Crisis averted! So all I had to do was put it facing down and as soon as I heard this, I could hear a very loud hissing (since it was at 30 psi). I then checked the pressure relief valve at it was hissing loud! I did that about 8-9 times as what i've seen so hopefully my beer wasn't ruined from all of this time. I'm planning on leaving it in my chest freezer with a temperature controller at about 40F. So, just I'm good... Now I should just leave it at around 12 psi connected for a couple of weeks until I'm ready to serve?

Thank you guys again for your invaluable advice. I so appreciate it!

Parallel with the gas line is open and perpindicular is closed (It doesn't matter left or right both are closed). From your picture the one on the left is closed and the one on the right is open. Glad to hear it is working now. Good Luck.

Now I should just leave it at around 12 psi connected for a couple of weeks until I'm ready to serve?

That is correct. However, if you want to hit the an exact volume of CO2 check out this link http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

If you know the temperature of the beer and the volumes of CO2 you are shooting for this chart will tell you where to set your regulator

Back