Please help me put together this beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLBinID

Reaction score
A friend of mine wants me to brew her something similar to the Widmer Lemongrass Wheat Reserve. I think it sounds awful but many people swear it's good.

Here's what I've figured out: They take a wheat beer, add muscat grape juice...ferment with wheat ale yeast and champagne yeast in tandem. Lemongrass is added at some point.

I'm going to brew 5 gallons (but maybe less) of this beer. How must grape juice do you think I should add? I figure I should add the lemongrass after fermentation is complete. How much would you use? I've got a pretty good wheat recipe that will just require some modification of the hops (fewer IBUs).

Any suggestions for this beer would be greatly appreciated. I can see this becoming a disaster. :D

I would recommend doing a very simple 3LB pilsner malt extract/3LB wheat malt extract with 1.5Bisciut malt. I've had great results using these very simple ingredients.

Use the Wyeast 1010 American wheat strain. It will be Widmer like but even better. I wouldn't add grape juice at all. That's far too complicated. I mean it would work fine but then the sugars of the grape might not ferment or they could take longer to ferment.

Just add some lemon verbena to the boil near flame out. I believe you can buy an italian made muscat syrup...I would consider using that. It will be muscat with a sugar concentrate syrup. A half cup at flame out...

Subtle is better with spiced/fruity wheats.

I have a bottle here at the house...It says it is 9%abv. So you should figure out what the difference is in your base and add grape juice to make up the rest for the sugar to hit a OG of 1.080 or better. Also make a big starter.

Back