PLEASE HELP!!! Counter flow Chiller/Hops/Sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I use a Grainfather with the counter-flow chiller that comes with it. Recently I noticed that the hop spider I use cuts WAY back on the hop utilization. I now want to just throw the hops straight in. Don't want to use a bag or anything else. My plan is to whirlpool to avoid getting stuck before I move wort to fermentor.

HERE IS THE ISSUE: In the past I flow the wort through the chiller at end of boil for sterilization. I don't want to do this now if I am throwing the hops in at the end (before or after the whirlpool.)

HERE IS THE PLAN BUT I NEED FEEDBACK: Just before I add my first 60 minute hops, run the wort through the chiller to sanitize.

QUESTION #1 is if this (the chiller and the wort inside the chiller) will stay sanitized for the entire boil time. I could place aluminum foil or plastic wrap over the ends during this time. Just now sure.

QUESTION #2: if I do a proper cleaning at the end of the brew, could I be setting myself up for sanitation issues leaving wort sit in the chiller for an hour+ while I do the boil???

FINAL QUESTION (if I may): Since I am now going to do a whirlpool and let it all settle for 10 minutes before transfer to fermentor, does this throw off calculating last minute hop additions--since the hops will actually be sitting in the wort for 10 extra minutes? Not sure how to look at this

Thanks a lot to anyone out there that can help!

Use starsan or iodine instead, and one hose on both end to keep it in the cfc. Then you won't have to worry as it will stay sanitized until used.

Back