Please give feedback on my 1st recipe!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris5899

Reaction score
I guess I don't start slow, but I like IPA's so I'm jumping right into one. Here it is:

6 gal batch

11 lbs 2 row
5 lbs light munich (I like a bit of body, kinda guessing with this)

Mashing @ 148F for 75 min, mashout at 168F for 10 min

1 hour boil:
1oz Simcoe for 60 min
.5oz Simcoe for 30 min
2oz Amarillo for 20 min
1oz Cascade, steep for 10 min

Fermentation: White Labs Californial Ale Yeast WLP001, maybe with a small dry yeast bump to account for the extra gallon.

Dry hop with 1oz Cascade last 4 days of fermentation

Beersmith puts this at an estimated OG of 1.069, 80 IBU's, 7.8 ABV. My guess (research) tells me that the high IBU # will be offset somewhat by the body added by the munich malt.

Anyhow, it's my first, so if there are any glaring problems or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. ETA to mash-in is 36 hours!!!!

16lbs of grain. For my knowlege, why is the OG only .069?

Amarrilo and Cascade go awesome together!!! The 30 min addition IMO is a waste of good hops for a IPA. Use a high Alpha hop (you will need less hops and it will not soak up as much wort) and do the math for the proper bitterness. Use the good hops for the end and the dry hop.

A starter for wlp001 is a must with that large grain bill. I did one last Friday and it was like a volcano on a citra IPA.

Make a starter or just use US-05 from the get go. Same yeast, different packaging. 148F seems low on the mash temp too. Using Simcoe as primarily a bittering hop also seems like a huge waste, better to use something like Magnum or Warrior for that, and use that delicious simcoe for dry hopping/flavour/aroma.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Consensus seems to be to make a starter, which I have not ever done. If I boil 1/3 cup DME in 2 cups water, cool and add the wlp001 and let it run for 24-36 hours, will it be ready if I decant then pitch. I'm sure it's possible to overdo the yeast and have a bad result, so I want to know I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!

You won't be overdoing the yeast with that size starter. I'd say make a 2 liter starter with a cup of DME. Pour off most of the liquid but leave enough to loosen the cake at the bottom of whatever vessel you use. 24-36 hours, maybe at 36-48 would be better. Swirl it around whenever you go by it.

I just keep it simple with a 1:2 ratio of DME and water. Make sure you boil at least ten min. Sanitize the yeast vial bc one time I dropped it in the wort...thankfully it didn't contaminate my starter. If you don't have a stir plate make sure you give it a good shake bc the yeast can cake on the bottom. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Personally I'd mash at 152. 148 just seems too low IMO, especially if you don't want a real thin body.

30% Munich in an American IIPA may be a bit out of place. I usually go with 4-10%. Also, use more dryhops.

Ditto on the 148 looking low. The previously suggested 152 is probably the way to go, otherwise it'll be pretty thin.

For a 2L starter, add around 200gm of DME. Shake it vigorously at the beginning and as often as you can throughout to keep adding O2.

OK, I'll bring the mash temp up a bit. Going to get my starter going now so it's ready to go tomorrow.

Great picture seabass. Some squirrels just can't take it!

I would lower the Munich, add some crystal.

Charge it with magnum for clean bittering at 60 and save all of those simcoe and Amarillo for 15 minutes and under.

At the end of your boil, whirlpool for longer 20/30 before cooling. Then dry hop later on.

I would lower the Munich, add some crystal.

I'd also agree with this. Drop in a pound or two of crystal 60, and take away a pound or two of munich. The caramel sweetness will balance out the hop bitterness.

Then again, I love me some crystal malt in almost everything I make.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Adding .5lb CaraPills and .5lb Caramel 40 and backing out Munich to 3lb, mashing at 152F

Doing a 2L starter with the wlp001

Latest posts

Back