Please critique batch sparge technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiejay06

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've done a bunch of forum searches and even read up on the Wiki on batch sparging, but I haven't found enough detail to make me 100% confident I'm going to batch sparge properly.

Based on my recipe, I should use 5 gallons of sparge water. I am going to mash in my brew kettle (no false bottom/spigot) due to budgetary constraints. After mashing, I'm planning to scoop the mash with a clean saucer and gently pour it into my 2-bucket system lauter tun (with 1/8" holes drilled in the upper bucket, and the lower bucket having a spigot with hose attached). I'll have foundation water coming about 2" above the bottom of the top bucket (and I will take that amount of water out of my total 5 gallon sparge water amount). Once the grain bed settles, I'll drain back into my boil kettle, save for collecting the initial cloudy runoff and putting it into the HLT with the sparge water (or do I put it back in LT?)

Once drained, I will dump the remainder of the first 2.5 gallons of sparge water (lacking the foundation water) into the lauter tun, and stir it real well, and let the grain bed settle. I will vorlauf again. Now that the wort is running clear again, I'll drain the remainder into the brew kettle...and then repeat this whole paragraph with the second 2.5 gallons of water, draining into boil kettle.

Does this sound right (I hope :D)? My biggest points of confusion are:

1. If I'm batch sparging, can I just dump the sparge water into the LT (sparging arm is just for fly sparging, right?).

2. Do I vorlauf back into the top of the lauter tun, or does it go into the HLT with the sparge water?

3. The procedure otherwise look good?

Thanks!

1. Only fly sparging requires some sort of contraption like a sparge arm.

2. Vorlauf goes back into the MLT. You do want to make sure you don't disturb the grain bed. I just put a piece of aluminum foil on top to pour onto.

3. Your process looks overly complication. If you are stuck with the double bucket method I would just mash there and forget all that scooping. You're going to have a heck of a time with temp control. No way to get a cooler? If not you may be better served with BIAB until you can.

My .02

I would love to have a cooler and convert it into an MLT, but currently on a baby budget (as in not a small budget, but literally have an infant at home), so I'm having to be economical. I can just use my current bottling bucket as the lower bucket of the LT, and then buy a second bucket for about $13 for the top bucket that I'll drill, as opposed to buying a cooler for $50 or so and then spending money on all the additional parts.

As far as temp control, is temp control a huge concern during the sparge? I know it is during the mash, which is why I'm going to mash in my brew kettle, so I can add heat if necessary. As far as sparge temp, I was just planning to dump in 170F or so water, let it settle, and drain. Do I need that temp to stay constant?

I agree with Jason that it sounds unnecessarily complicated compared to BIAB, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

The only technical point I would raise is that you might not be understanding the vorlauf properly. (Or, perhaps more likely, I'm not understanding you). It reads to me, though, like you're only vorlaufing your sparge water. Is that correct? Typically, you want to vorlauf your first runnings more than anything else.

Holding precise temperature isn't as important during sparge as during mash, though if you're too high you'll extract tannins and if you're too low you'll lose solubility.

I've considered the BIAB system, but from what I understand, you need to have a false bottom or some other way to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot, which I currently don't have...Don't want it melting and then bursting open as I've seen some people talk about.

I worded my description pretty poorly. I know the initial runoff that you collect and recycle comes from the mash...I just wasn't sure if you poured it back on top of the mash or poured it into the sparge water...looks like I'll be pouring it back on top of the mash!

Don't some people use a veggie steamer as a FB for BIAB? Could have sworn I saw a pick of that in a Revvy post. And it can be dual purposed!

Don't some people use a veggie steamer as a FB for BIAB? Could have sworn I saw a pick of that in a Revvy post. And it can be dual purposed!

Indeed, or you can just pick it up off the bottom of your kettle for the few minutes you need to heat. Anyway, I don't mean to try to talk you out of one method into another that you feel less comfortable with. Double bucket works for many people.

That said, I still don't totally understand where what liquid is going when in the method you are describing, so I can't be too specific about any problems that might come up. In broad strokes, it sounds like you've got the right idea though.

That's pretty freaking brilliant whoever thought of that. I love the ingenuity of homebrewers! I may try that...but then no sparging correct?

That's pretty freaking brilliant whoever thought of that. I love the ingenuity of homebrewers! I may try that...but then no sparging correct?

You could always dunk-sparge. Have a second pot with a few gallons of water, pick up the brew-in-a-bag and let as much of it drain as you can and then dip it into the second pot a few times. How efficient BIAB can be is a controversial topic. I get reasonably good numbers, and I'm not that worried about going up from there to save 50 cents worth of grain.

Anyway, I don't mean to try to talk you out of one method into another that you feel less comfortable with. Double bucket works for many people.

He might not, but I will. BIAB is easy and I've yet to get under 70% efficiency. Whether you are on a budget or not, you can afford BIAB, a nylon bag is like 6 bucks. Also, you're sparging with 5 gallons so I'm assuming you are brewing at least 8 gallons of beer. If that's brewing on a budget, then I must be brewing on a pittance. Also, I've never had a bag melt if I leave my stove on low.

You could always dunk-sparge. Have a second pot with a few gallons of water, pick up the brew-in-a-bag and let as much of it drain as you can and then dip it into the second pot a few times. How efficient BIAB can be is a controversial topic. I get reasonably good numbers, and I'm not that worried about going up from there to save 50 cents worth of grain.

In fact, you don't even have to dunk. Let's say you use a colander to hold your bag while it drains. Just pour water evenly over the bag while it drains. It won't spill out; the capillary action of the grain keeps the water from running off the sides of the grain bag. I did this last batch to squeeze a third sparge in, and got 5 points better efficiency than normal.

Back