Please comment on my stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayOhm

Reaction score
I want to make a winter stout, my plan is to have it ready by January. This recipe is just made up of stuff I have and stuff I can get at my LHBS (which has very limited supply).

2.5 Gallon batch
boil volume (a little over) 3 gallon

OG: 1.076
FG: 1.019
IBU: 72
ABV: 7.4%
SRM: 50

2.2 # Canadian two row (28.4%)
2# Vienna (25.8%)
1# Maris otter (12.9%)
1# Canadian honey (12.9%)
0.25# Black patent (3.2%)
0.55# Chocolate malt (7.1%)
0.25# Crystal 60 (3.2%)
0.5# Roasted barley (6.5%)

60 mins: 0.5 oz Simcoe 13%AA
30 mins: 0.5 oz Simcoe 13%AA
I also have 0.5# of Kiln Coffee malt that I may throw in as well. What do you guys think?

Given that it's a half batch, that seems like a lot of chocolate, black patent and roasted barley in total. I also think there's no point in using both regular 2-row and Maris Otter. In fact, with all those other grains, save the M.O. for something else, unless you already have it and are trying to clear it out. The Vienna is also unusual for a stout. Munich would seem to be better, but you could go with 2-row and all the specialty grains.

It's a bit of kitchen sinker. Honey and high IBUs to boot.

I appreciate the reply, thanks. I am trying to get rid of some malt, hence the Vienna and Maris Otter. I may have to reduce the specialty malts as well.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using up M.O. if you have it. I'd probably use the Vienna too, but I wouldn't buy it for a stout recipe.

Thanks again! Used the MO and the Vienna along with the coffee malt. Reduced the black patent and the honey but kept the chocolate and the roast barley as planned. Hit an OG of 1.075 (increased the boil volume a bit which explains the lower OG.). it sucks I have to wait 3 months to try it but ah well

Back