Playoffs NHL or NBA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last NHL I watched was the Islanders Championship run. I do enjoy Olympic Hockey but the NHL ultimate fighting matches suck.

I'll settle for Yanks - Rangers & Knicks - Celts.

Rangers win!!!!!!!!
Hefeweizen is in the fermanter!!
Founders Dirty Bastard, Weyerbacher Merry Monks, and a couple of Belgian home brews in me!!!!!!!!
Time to grill a Flank Steak with Dijon mustard\dry rub on the grill.
It doesn't get any better than this :tank:

I will have to agree NHL>NBA...but that will change if my blackhawks can't come back down 0-2. Unfortunately I will be enjoying my homebrews with the internet audio...don't have Versus! Derrick Rose is a beast though, go bulls.

NHL all the way, god there's no such thing like pro basket around here in Montreal, I never watch a game.

Go Habs

Grizzlies-Spurs, Hornets-Lakers, and Knicks-Celtics were all great game start to finish, and Thunder-Nuggest has been a great 1st half.

Plus the NBA doesn't have all of those really long breaks (intermissions) like hockey does so some off machine called a zamboni can drive around slower than a golf-cart while fans sit their twiddling their fingers or throwing around octipi. :D

Hockey over Basketball any day. I mean basketball games really need only be 5 minutes long, since it's only the last 5 minutes that matters. And the rest of it is just plain boring. Just how relevant or important is a score when a game can be 100 points to 101 points just because some doofus sinks a basket in the last second?

Sounds like each basket is important then.

Surprised by how popular NHL is here considering how awful the ratings are. Maybe that's their problem, all their fans would rather be homebrewing.

NBA is poised to become the most popular american sport, if they can handle their lockout better than the NFL. Worldwide the NBA has a tremendous following, which the other sports do not. I'm sure David Stern will F it up though.

NBA is poised to become the most popular american sport, if they can handle their lockout better than the NFL. Worldwide the NBA has a tremendous following, which the other sports do not. I'm sure David Stern will F it up though.[/QUOTE]

There must be something wrong with my television. Im lookinhg, but cant find the story on cnn about the govt. Legalizing crack....which would clearly have to happen for basketball to jump past both, football and baseball and become the most popular sport.

There must be something wrong with my television. Im lookinhg, but cant find the story on cnn about the govt. Legalizing crack....which would clearly have to happen for basketball to jump past both, football and baseball and become the most popular sport.

The NBA is already more popular than MLB, both by viewers and sales of merchandise.

The 2010 world series ratings was the lowest ever - 14 million viewers. The NBA Finals got 28 million viewers - according to Nielson ratings - and that's just in the US.

There were probably more people in China watching than in the US. The NBA is very popular in Asia right now, which is something the other sports do not have. The NBA is becoming a global game with regular season games being played in London.

In the western world, Soccer is still the most popular. But if you look at it worldwide, Basketball has tremendous momentum and may very well catch soccer, not just in China but in Europe and South America.

Agree with Dr Robert. But I'm not at all surprised NHL gets more love in a thread titled "Playoffs, NHL or NBA'. Hockey fans seem to be way more passionate about their sport than NBA fans, even though NBA has way more casual fans.

The thing about basketball is with there being so much scoring you are more likely to have dramatic endings.

I actually like hockey for a few weeks every four years. Not sure why I can't watch NHL, the headhunting/fighting doesn't help at all for me but hockey fans have 'spoken' on that one and they like it and want it to stay a part of the game.

To further support my point that the NBA is gaining in popularity, just 30 years ago it was an obscure league. The nba finals were on TV late at night on tape delay, if at all. That was in the 1980's. So the league has come a long way since then. A generation from now it could (but i dont think it will) very well surpass the nfl, especially if there is a canceled season. But my guess is that the NBA guys are just as selfish as the NFL, and both have f'ed up season next year.

The lock out a few years ago really hurt the NHL. I think the NHL playoffs get over shadowed by the start of MLB and the NBA playoffs. If they move the season a bit, so that the playoffs happen before the start of baseball, I think it would do much better as a sport.

The thing about basketball is with there being so much scoring you are more likely to have dramatic endings.

You think so? From a purely statistical perspective, the more scoring you have, the less likely it is that any game is decided by one score. i.e., if statistics were all that mattered, you would have fewer NBA games decided by a single bucket than NHL games decided by a single goal. I haven't actually done any research, so have no idea, but I would bet that this is actually the case

But then, maybe your meaning of "dramatic ending" would include things like a basketball team coming back from down 5 with 2 minutes to go. Certainly that is much more likely in basketball.

Can I vote for neither? They both bore the hell out of me and Bettman has ruined hockey. Wake me up when college football comes around.

I rather be watching the NFL draft this Thursday than either lame NHL and redundant NBA :)

NHL all the way! I went to last night's big Predator win. The place was sold out and the joint was jumping with hockey love. I am a big Lakers fan but it is hockey all the way.

To further support my point that the NBA is gaining in popularity, just 30 years ago it was an obscure league. The nba finals were on TV late at night on tape delay, if at all. That was in the 1980's. So the league has come a long way since then. A generation from now it could (but i dont think it will) very well surpass the nfl, especially if there is a canceled season. But my guess is that the NBA guys are just as selfish as the NFL, and both have f'ed up season next year.

The lock out a few years ago really hurt the NHL. I think the NHL playoffs get over shadowed by the start of MLB and the NBA playoffs. If they move the season a bit, so that the playoffs happen before the start of baseball, I think it would do much better as a sport.

I don't think that moving the season changes the sport, it just gets you more casual fans with nothing better to watch (although I don't know when you would do it with March Madness in March and April and the Super Bowl in February). I do see your point though. And as far as your enthusiasm about the growth of basketball, the NHL as you point out, was severely hurt by the lockout. IIRC, they were actually getting better ratings than MLB and the NBA the 2-3 seasons prior to the lockout. It's been a tough uphill climb since then. If the NBA were to lose an entire season due to a lockout half the fans (at least all the casual ones) would walk away from the game for a very long time. Especially if the NBA was relegated to a second rate cable network as the NHL has been. The NFL on the other hand won't lose hardly anyone and will remain the most popular sport in this country. And no sport will ever touch the popularity of soccer worldwide.

I recently moved from Portland to Sunnyvale, CA (very close to San Jose). I went to my first NHL game a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but I can't get excited about it. If the Sharks go further, then maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon, but until then - GO BLAZERS!!!!

You think so? From a purely statistical perspective, the more scoring you have, the less likely it is that any game is decided by one score. i.e., if statistics were all that mattered, you would have fewer NBA games decided by a single bucket than NHL games decided by a single goal. I haven't actually done any research, so have no idea, but I would bet that this is actually the case

But then, maybe your meaning of "dramatic ending" would include things like a basketball team coming back from down 5 with 2 minutes to go. Certainly that is much more likely in basketball.
What I mean is, goals in hockey are relatively rare compared to a bucket in basketball. That makes it way more likely that a team that is down by 1, 2 or 3 points will make that last second buzzer-beater and change the outcome of the game on the last shot (or at least in the last few seconds). I chose my words poorly though, a team TRYING to score a last second goal to tie or win has 'drama' whether they make it or not. But I think basketball is way more likely to have buzzer-beaters that change the outcome of the game.

I don't think that moving the season changes the sport, it just gets you more casual fans with nothing better to watch (although I don't know when you would do it with March Madness in March and April and the Super Bowl in February). I do see your point though. And as far as your enthusiasm about the growth of basketball, the NHL as you point out, was severely hurt by the lockout. IIRC, they were actually getting better ratings than MLB and the NBA the 2-3 seasons prior to the lockout. It's been a tough uphill climb since then. If the NBA were to lose an entire season due to a lockout half the fans (at least all the casual ones) would walk away from the game for a very long time. Especially if the NBA was relegated to a second rate cable network as the NHL has been. The NFL on the other hand won't lose hardly anyone and will remain the most popular sport in this country. And no sport will ever touch the popularity of soccer worldwide.

I didnt say it would change the sport, but it would do better. The NHL playoffs could start right after the superbowl, when sports fans are starved and have nothing to watch but mediocre nba regular season and finish mid march before march madness. Also, the NCAA is somewhat sane, and they have their games on during the day mostly, leaving time for the NHL to have the premiere time slot which is like 9pm at night or later est.

Of course that means having less games, or starting the season early - and it already starts pretty early, so it would never happen. Owners want more games. But the NHL and NBA could benefit from less games, which is why the NFL does so well. Each game actually matters.

Back