Plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Do plate chillers work better when the water is colder. I'm in SoCal and it's hot. Should I wait until the colder months to get one and continue using the wort chiller.

Some days the water temp from the sink is quite warm.

~RDWHAHB~

Yes. You will never be able to chill below the temp of you water supply.

Some people use a prechiller and ice.

Most of the time we recommend that our customers don't use a plate chiller.. The reason being is the spaces between the plates are very small, and are very difficult to clean. We highly recommend looking into a counterflow chiller. Those are by far the cleanest and most efficient way to cool your wort! Good Luck.

Thanks,
CCBrewhouse.com Team

I like the idea. It started with not wanting to always use a coil. But with the summer being hot like it is, it shrinks my brewing opportunities a lot.

So I thought of a plate chiller. I always pour my wort through a strainer. It does two things. Aerates the hell out of the wort and also traps a ton of hop/protein debris from going into primary. My trub is very small now.

So with that in mind I didn't think the plate chiller would clog. Now it looks like I'll research a CFC and see what I can find.

Please feel free to add more opinions on this. I've been brewing for almost 3 yrs and love learning new stuff.

Thx all!!!

~RDWHAHB~

It's really very hard to beat the traditional immersion chiller. At the end of the day, there is no method that will get a beer below your cooling water temperature due to those pesky thermodynamics laws. Immersion chillers make it easier to input colder water and, to boot, are easy to clean and maintain. No pumps required!

Now, an argument can be made that the Therminator, etc, is faster at cooling the wort. The word on the street is that faster is, like, logarithmically better. First off, it's maybe 15 minutes faster, and my whole recipe book is set up around a 15 minute whirlpool and hop steep anyway. Second off, the entire Australian brewing scene is based off of beers that they do not cool. They let it sit in an airtight container until it reaches pitching temperature for several days, and yet, in spite of this they brew some badass beers. Freaky, I know. Controversial, I know. But, hey, remember when they thought you absolutely, positively had to have hops in your yeast starter?

Back