Plate chiller or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is getting a plate chiller worth it or should I stick to my immersion chiller?

I prefer the IC due to how lazy it is. No worries about clogging or cleaning. And ICs work effectively enough on 5-10gal volume scale, esp if you're recirculating ice water with a submersible pump (which if you aren't and you're looking for a boost in performance, something to try possibly). Just my take.

edit: since we're throwing chill times around, I generally get my 5-6gal down within 5-10 minutes with stirring with the ice water recirc. Maybe add on a minute or two if it's 95*F out, but otherwise, ground water temp doesn't matter as you're using ice water. I usually have about 4 1/2 coils of my 50' 1/2" exposed above the wort...don't brew 10gal batches, but if I did, I'd imagine it'd be close to the same duration with that in mind. Any more than that and you're pushing it for an IC. It does cost ice / the energy to make ice.

I don't know about plate chillers but I just moved to a counter flow chiller and it really cut my chilling time by a lot and it even seems easier on the maintenance than my IC. After I'm done brewing I just run some hot water through it to rinse it out.

I've always worried about a plate chiller getting clogged and having gunk stuck in there that never comes out.

Is getting a plate chiller worth it or should I stick to my immersion chiller?

I do mostly 15 gallon batches and I've done a 20 gallon. A plate chiller is almost mandatory for big batches. But if I was still doing 5 gallons, it is probably not necessary.

I will say, a plate chiller adds complexity (which is fine with me because I love gear!)

A pump is really nice if you have a plate chiller.
A pump requires a ball valve (that needs to be cleaned/maintained).

A hop spider or some way to control your hop debris is also really important with a plate chiller.

I do mostly 15 gallon batches and I've done a 20 gallon. A plate chiller is almost mandatory for big batches. But if I was still doing 5 gallons, it is probably not necessary.

I will say, a plate chiller adds complexity (which is fine with me because I love gear!)

A pump is really nice if you have a plate chiller.
A pump requires a ball valve (that needs to be cleaned/maintained).

A hop spider or some way to control your hop debris is also really important with a plate chiller.

When I do 15g batches, I simultaneously use an IC and a CFC with a pump. I find my plate chiller unnecessary now. If you have the means, give it a try! No more back flushing!

For 5 gal batches not really, but 10 or more yes. It took forever with my old immersion chiller... now its minutes, You do have more maint of course. But I use a hop spider to filter and immediately back flush with the hose a few times... so far no probs.

I make 10 gallon batches. I got rid of my IC a couple of years ago when I bought a new rig that included a plate chiller. Finally got sick enough of the plate chiller to get rid of it, I'm building a new IC this weekend (50' of 1/2" OD copper, same as I had before).

I was never confident that my plate chiller was clean. The last time I cleaned it (last weekend) I had PBW recirculating through it for a couple hours. Then I spent about 20+ minutes flushing it out by alternating the garden hose between the wort inlet and wort outlet. After this 20+ minutes I was still getting junk to come out of it. I made up my mind right there that I was done with it, I'd hate to lose 10 gallons and half a day to an infection from the chiller.

I was never confident that my plate chiller was clean.

Had you ever lost a single batch to an infection you could trace to your plate chiller?

I've had a similar experience, with tiny green bits flushing out of my plate chiller not matter how long I clean it or flush with the garden hose, yet I've never had a single infection.

If it's not causing any problems, then what's the real risk?

A dual stage IC can be close to as efficient as a PC. Of course there are variables, it's not quite as cut and dry as that. But I'm looking to go to an IC design and get rid of my CFC. Besides having to prevent clogging, I always find dark gunk whenever I brush it out. When I get caught up on the bathroom remodel and get my HERMS system running I plan to build a 2-stage IC and sell the CFC.

Besides the rare clogging (mostly in the pump, not the CFC) I never had a problem with infection from the CFC, I just think the IC would be easier to clean and take care of, and simpler to set up.

Bottom line is that you should get whatever chiller you think you want to use. The right size of the right type will chill your beer quickly enough. It's about what fits you and your rig best.

I use a 50 foot IC made from 1/2" SS tubing to chill 15G batches and it works great. I do use a pump to recirculate the wort though. But you really want to keep the wort moving with any IC; even if you stir!

I dont like the idea of my wort going through something that I cant take apart for cleaning. The affordable plate chillers at the home-brew scale are sealed and require backwashing etc. I know a lot of folks use them with out issue and I do like the "way" that they work but I chose IC and have been very happy! Simple, effective and easy to clean!

A lot of people keep bringing up the issue of cleaning plate chillers, but lots of people use them, and I'm not seeing any flood of threads here complaining about infected batches that can be traced back to plate chillers.

For larger batches, or when brewing lagers, plate chillers are vastly superior to ICs, in my opinion. Yes, they involve a little more equipment, and yes they're a little harder to clean, but they can really cut a lot of frustration out of your brew day.

MY IC would take at least 20 min with a ten gal batch, longer in the summer... even if i did use ice water.

I prefer the IC due to how lazy it is. No worries about clogging or cleaning. And ICs work effectively enough on 5-10gal volume scale, esp if you're recirculating ice water with a submersible pump (which if you aren't and you're looking for a boost in performance, something to try possibly). Just my take.

edit: since we're throwing chill times around, I generally get my 5-6gal down within 5-10 minutes with stirring with the ice water recirc. Maybe add on a minute or two if it's 95*F out, but otherwise, ground water temp doesn't matter as you're using ice water. I usually have about 4 1/2 coils of my 50' 1/2" exposed above the wort...don't brew 10gal batches, but if I did, I'd imagine it'd be close to the same duration with that in mind. Any more than that and you're pushing it for an IC. It does cost ice / the energy to make ice.

Had you ever lost a single batch to an infection you could trace to your plate chiller?

I've had a similar experience, with tiny green bits flushing out of my plate chiller not matter how long I clean it or flush with the garden hose, yet I've never had a single infection.

If it's not causing any problems, then what's the real risk?

No I hadn't lost a batch because of it, but I no longer wanted to take that risk. Just couldn't get past the thought of chilled wort running through who knows what at such a crucial time.

If my IC takes an extra 10 minutes to chill, but the plate chiller takes an extra 20 minutes to clean then the IC is still faster in my opinion.

I use an IC for 10 gallon batches.I get it down to 110 or so and pull the IC.Pitch the yeast the next day.It doesn't take to long,the last 30/40/50 minutes are what takes forever

No I hadn't lost a batch because of it, but I no longer wanted to take that risk. Just couldn't get past the thought of chilled wort running through who knows what at such a crucial time.

If you're really worried about it, you can bake your chiller in the oven (particularly effective if your oven has a "self-cleaning" feature), the flush out any ash with hot caustic, followed by rinsing.

If my IC takes an extra 10 minutes to chill, but the plate chiller takes an extra 20 minutes to clean then the IC is still faster in my opinion.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, since I can do other things while cleaning my plate chiller. I set it up to recirculate some hot PBW, then just let it go while I clean my boil kettle and start packing away my gear. A quick rinse cycle (blast some plain cold water from the outdoor faucet through it) for a minute or so (however long it takes to fill a bucket), and it's clean.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, since I can do other things while cleaning my plate chiller.

That and for an IC to be optimal, you have to be stirring the wort, whereas with a plate chiller you could possibly go do other stuff...if you weren't worried about clogging, etc.

That said, I see this thread is doing the normal devolving from "supplying the poster information to make a choice" into "quibbling about what method I chose / works best for me as being the objective best choice".

That and for an IC to be optimal, you have to be stirring the wort, whereas with a plate chiller you could possibly go do other stuff...if you weren't worried about clogging, etc.

That said, I see this thread is doing the normal devolving from "supplying the poster information to make a choice" into "quibbling about what method I chose / works best for me as being the objective best choice".

Well, you could stir the wort AND go do other things. Just as a pump can move the wort around and pump through a PC/CFC, a simple stirring device can stir for you.

I don't see what's wrong with describing all of the different scenarios for the OP and other reading the thread get the most information and can make the best decision for them.

I agree with Homercidal. Giving different options and opinions is good for people to chew on, to see whats out there and why people use the different types of equipment. For my set up I ended up going with a copper counter flow chiller. I recirculate the wort through the chiller to sanitize it and then I whirlpool in the kettle and keep it connected to the chiller. I didn't want the cold break to clog my plate chiller. My counter flow chiller is very easy to flush out and clean and it works for me. Peace of mind and ease of cleaning is important to me. So I am happy with my chiller and the way I use it for my system. I am not knocking plate chillers though, just saying what works for me and why I chose to use it.

John

Back