Plastic vs Glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayroc

Reaction score
A second question for bottling that I thought deserved its own thread.

Plastic vs Glass

Whats best and why, pros and cons etc.

the only thing I have to go on so far is that I happen to have a lot of plastic bottles I can use :)

are you talking about using plastic coke bottles, water bottles, 2 liter bottles? I think the carbonation process would create bottle bombs. ever see a 1 liter or 20oz plastic bottle blow up imaging 50 of those blowing up full of beer.

I'd Rather NOT..

-=Jason=-

Another one? Look at the bottom of this page.

So there is, well at least after skimming over them I realize I am not the first to make this mistake, and likely won't be the last. I will read the this vs that thread

I think the carbonation process would create bottle bombs.

Well my father in law gave me a box of bottles he used for coolers, he got them from a wine making store.

I would like to point out though that pop is carbonated. you ever drop a 2L, I have, and it hasn't blown up.

:off:Hey that reminds me of this bottle rocket myth busters episode hehehe.:off:

the LHBS has a carb keeper for 2L bottles. he puts session beers in the 2L and puts a cap on it with a pump mechanism to pressurize them. i didn't completely understand how they work but i think using a 2L will work. Mr. Beer ised to call for 20oz. bottles to store in.

the LHBS has a carb keeper for 2L bottles. he puts session beers in the 2L and puts a cap on it with a pump mechanism to pressurize them

That's Cool

Just to clarify to everyone, I have now read over the pros vs cons and I would still like to hear peoples opinions on it.

I am going to use plastic because I have it, plus a few glass with he swing top, because I have some of them too. But going forward we will see.

Perhaps a better name for the thread is, what do you prefer glass or plastic bottles

<FootInMouth>
shoot I guess your right, they do sell plastic beer bottles at sporting events and what not.
</FootInMouth>

-=Jason=-

Well, i couldn't imagine saying, "hey, you want a beer?" then pull out a soda bottle with beer in it. That's the only reason why i use glass. Otherwise, the commercial brewers who i ask advise from use soda bottles(with their homebrew), and i really think they would make things a lot better overall( well except for my friends making fun of me for using them.)

Just to throw in a wrinkle for fun, at our last beer club meeting a guy brought in some beer he bottled in those newish aluminum bottles. It was really cool drinking a Belgian golden strong from a gussied up Coors Light can.

Hello there,

I work at the local HBS, and although we dont sell many, we do carry plastic beer bottles (yes they look like brown pop bottles with a screw on cap) as well as glass. They are called PET bottles i think. Although i use glass myself, one pro would be that you could squeeze the plastic bottles, if it gives its not carbed yet, if you cant, chill and enjoy

People use plastic bottles all the time for beer.
I personally do not drink beer out of plastic / styrofoam cups, and
also refuse to bottle my brew in plastic bottles.

It is just a matter of personal preference.

[Link for everything you ever needed to know about plastic beer bottles]

advantages of plastic:
1/7th the weight of glass
do not break
reusable screw on cap
established in soda market - readily available in multiple sizes

disadvantages of plastic:
PET is gas permeable, so oxygen gets in and carbon dioxide gets out.

The linked article says the shelf life for beer in an uncoated PET bottle (soda bottle) is 30 days. The shelf life in a coated PET bottle (plastic beer bottle) is nine months. (beer is more sensitive to oxygen permeation than soda)

my experience: I always bottle 1 or 2 used soda bottles for each batch because I like to use it to check the progress of the clearing and carbonation, but I always drink them first and have never kept one for 30 days.

Well, i couldn't imagine saying, "hey, you want a beer?" then pull out a soda bottle with beer in it.

That's a good point.

I think I like the idea of mixing it up a little. I went and bought some Grolsch which I have decided is not my favorite but hey, the bottles come with beer in them so I won't complain to much, and I got a few 1L glass flip tops too. I will keep collecting them but will also use the PET and just drink them first :)

:mug:

Latest posts

Back