Plastic smell in Vittles Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about buying some of those as well, and was worried about this very thing. I have a friend who is a Ph.D. polymer scientist, I'll ping her and see if she gets back to me.

With that said I was thinking my solution would be swishing some very hot water around in it a few times, then just leaving it open for a long time until the smell recedes.

So the vittle vault is high-density poly-ethylene (HDPE), here's my friends response, although she admits not working on these types of plastics:

"Ok so I'm not sure if water will help (stuff that happily goes into Poly Ethylene (PE) generally doesn't like water) but one rinse through with hot water may help a bit (melting point of PE should be above 100C) so use hot but not boiling water.
Other than that I would say heat (again not too much) + air flow (heat on the theory its a diffusion problem and heat speeds things up). Unfortunately for you these aren't the right types of plastics for me.

Personally I'd go with the fan on it for a while and see how it goes as the others seem like a pain in the butt. My other option would be to ask the internet but that is always a dangerous rabbit hole to go down...."

She did point me to another acquaintance who worked on HDPE off-gassing, so i sent her a Facebook message, but she is a bit more flaky so i'm not sure i'll hear anything back.

I just left mine open for a few days to air out. Smell went away. They are food grade made to store food I have to believe some sort of testing was done to ensure that..

In my experience, time is the only cure.
Heat helps speed things up a little.
Place it in the sun with the lid off for a few days.

I was thinking about buying some of those as well, and was worried about this very thing. I have a friend who is a Ph.D. polymer scientist, I'll ping her and see if she gets back to me.

With that said I was thinking my solution would be swishing some very hot water around in it a few times, then just leaving it open for a long time until the smell recedes.

Already tried that. It decreases slightly but is still too strong for me to store my grain in it.

I never smelt anything in mine or even thought about it, never even rinsed it out. I think don't worry about it because it will smell like grain soon anyways.

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to try some of the solutions you all suggested and I'll let you know.

I never noticed any off flavors but I feel like I remember how basically odorless mine was when I got it. If you have ever had a new memory foam pillow or mattress would you compare the smell to that because that is strong but it airs out over time until it's gone.

Update:

Left it outside for several days in 85-100 degree heat and it still smells after having the lid on overnight. I tried hot, but not boiling, water. Still there. Thinking I may just return it unless anybody else has any other suggestions.

I don't know about HDPE, but whenever I had a smell in any of my backpacking plastic equipment (nalgene bottles and hydration bladders). I would soak them for a few days in 10% vinegar solution. That would strip out any residual smells and flavors.

Update:

Left it outside for several days in 85-100 degree heat and it still smells after having the lid on overnight. I tried hot, but not boiling, water. Still there. Thinking I may just return it unless anybody else has any other suggestions.

bummer! I actually just purchased one of these online yesterday. Since so many report them not having a smell or a smell that goes away after a few days with the lid off I'd be inclined to return it for another one at this point (which hopefully doesn't smell as bad).

Update:

you left it outside with the lid off right?

Latest posts

Back