Plastic S-Bubble Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I lost the small red cap that goes on top of one of these. Is that cap necessary? Seems to me as long as there is sterile liquid inside the S bubble that little cap is not needed and is purely cosmetic. Thoughts?

No worries, might keep a fruit fly from flying into the airlock? Or throwing the airlock liquid all over when you yank it out.

I have one with cap and the other with out a cap, no issues. I have had a brew or two bubble out the airlock and the nasty crap that was left over clogged the little vent holes. I dont think it was a big deal but removed it and cleaned it anyways. Worst case it would have clogged it enough and blew the cap off which I dont think would happen.

Awesome. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I use a blow-off tube on my primary and this S-bubble on the secondary so not much worry about a super vigorous fermentation clogging it up.

:rockin:

You could take a piece of aluminum foil and poke some small holes in it with a toothpick and it would be pretty much the same as the plastic piece. I wouldn't worry too much about it either way.

Back