Plastic Kegs and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just after some advice on budget plastic pressure barrels. I have had success in the past with a fairly good carbonation from these barrels. However the last time i used one there was virtually no carb at all, all seemed to be sealed well. Is there a difference in the amount of pressure the barrel can take when using the cap with a co2 bulb adaptor compared to the non co2 bulb cap. The last time the barell was less full as i bottled some, will this affect carbonation?

I'm guessing you're not in the US. We don't have those commonly here. We pretty much bottle or Corny keg here with very few exceptions.

Are you talking about the 1 1/2 gallon party pig kegs?

I'm pretty sure he means something like this. They are popular in UK. I think you rack to them then prime the beer to get the carbonation and they are stored in a cold cellar so you get warmer less carbonated beer. Probably still pretty tasty though and some of them have a way to add CO2 cartridges as well to keep them less flat as you draw off the pints.:mug:

$(KGrHqN,!qsE88gcHj3HBPf)wHBlrg~~60_12.JPG

Thats the kind I have, in the past ive had no trouble getting carbonation levels up to have a nice head but obviously not 'fizzy' like a real ale.

This time however no carb whatsoever after 4 weeks. Perhaps a co2 injector is a good idea in order to keep up the pressure.

PS I am in the UK

Latest posts

Back