Plastic from Grain Sack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbrewer1

Reaction score
Excited to open up my first 55 pound sack of 2-row, I inadvertently ripped it open not paying attention to the correct way to open these stitched bags.

I noticed a couple of small pieces of clear plastic (from the inner bag) drop into the grain. Couldn't find them and now am concerned that they'll most likely get ground up in the mill and pass through the MT eventually to the boil.

Can anyone chime in with some common sense to qualm my OCD?

The more I think about it, I'm sure this happens more often than not in commercial breweries that are opening loads of these bags at a time.

Excited to open up my first 55 pound sack of 2-row, I inadvertently ripped it open not paying attention to the correct way to open these stitched bags.

I noticed a couple of small pieces of clear plastic (from the inner bag) drop into the grain. Couldn't find them and now am concerned that they'll most likely get ground up in the mill and pass through the MT eventually to the boil.

Can anyone chime in with some common sense to qualm my OCD?

The more I think about it, I'm sure this happens more often than not in commercial breweries that are opening loads of these bags at a time.

That plastic will get stuck in the mash tun...no harm done (yes, a bit rhyming).

Seriously, don't worry about it. The grain bed will fliter them out or your false bottom will.

They probably throw sacks of grain in the mill without even opening them.

Back