Plastic Fermenting Bucket : Pink Spots??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bucket with some pink spots. Honestly, it's a bucket that I didn't scrub after using. After sitting in it's own filth for a month I scrubbed the hell out of it and sanitized it. The bucket appears to be super clean (no smell or anything), but there are some pink spots on the inside.

I'm also curious to hear if this is problematic....

Do you use bleach to clean the bucket? I've used bleach in the past, and when I didn't sufficiently dilute the solution, that turned the bucket pink.

I threw mine away when it turned pink. Discoloration from beer is one thing, but bleach is a pretty caustic chemical. I'm not sure how it reacts with "foodsafe" plastic, and I'm not sure how safe - or airtight - the bleach-discolored plastic is.

Buckets are cheap; $15ish. Buy a new one.

Yeah, my LHBS could save money on price tags if it just labeled everything Price = 2(NB).

But it's local, and the owner is always ready to help. And on brew day, if you need new equipment or ingredients, you can't wait for $7.00 brew saver shipping.

I use C-Brite cleanser and it isn't from an extremely dirty bucket either. I found the marks after a four week ferment and the beer is fine. Ideally, I'd like to know if anyone knows why they appear or what they may be. I'll reuse the bucket, I'm certain it is clean.

I use C-Brite cleanser and it isn't from an extremely dirty bucket either. I found the marks after a four week ferment and the beer is fine. Ideally, I'd like to know if anyone knows why they appear or what they may be. I'll reuse the bucket, I'm certain it is clean.

As long as it's not guacamole on your bucket, clean, oxidize, sanitize :ban:

stop being cheap and get a glass fermentor. plastic is for noobs. sorry to be harsh, but you'll forgive me when you get a glass carboy.

they're all pink on the inside...;)

and on the glass vs plastic: I by far prefer buckets over carboys. Much easier to clean, dry hop, transfer, carry...etc.

Glass is great for bulk long-term aging, but for your typical ale...nothing beats a bucket!

I wholeheartedly agree with your disagreement as well!!!!

And I'm hardly a noob. :D

Sorry for hijacking this thread but Revvy....

You are the balls man

Having a bad day at work and saw this and made me laugh.

I agree I like my bucket for primary over a carboy. Much easier to pull crap out of a 15" opening than a 2" one....

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:
glass is cleaner:ban::ban::ban:
and, i like to watch my beer ferment. using a bucket is like having your wife wear a veil until after you are married. you don't get to see the goods until its too late.

And I also like to keep my blood on the inside, and the beer in a fermenter and not on the floor....

Broken Carboys - Lustreking Brewing

I use oxyclean and it's no more difficult to clean my buckets, the one glass carboy I have but rarely use, and my 3 better bottles......the all clean and rinse with the same effort...and two of the three without any fear... :D

I have pink spots as well...its just time for a new bucket...when I get around to it. And im in total agreement with not using glass fermenters...secondary is another story though.

i have had the same glass carboy for 11 years and there are no spots or interior scratches and i have never broken a single one. i thinks plasic buckets are for gay. that is my opinion and if you don't like it, you can surf nicaragua.:ban::rockin::ban::drunk::ban::rockin::ban::mug:

Personally, I like using both the bucket and the carboy interchangably (-sp?) for fermentation and I use both. There's nothing at all wrong with using the bucket for the length of your brewing career - no matter what your noob-ness rating is.

However, there are times when I want to see what's happening inside for timing's sake - like if I want to add honey at high-krausen (for some reason) then I need to know when high krausen is. Can't tell if I can't see, and I can't see if I'm using the bucket unless I constantly crack the seal and risk losing sanitation...

If you choose glass then be super careful but it's not like there's an absolute guarantee that a glass carboy is going to slice you open just like riding in a car without a seatbelt doesn't guarantee a wreck will take place...it's just a greater risk of injury if it does happen. By the way I don't recommend riding in a car without a seatbelt! ;) And I think that's the same with most brewers advising against glass. I've never had a problem but many see no reason to risk it...choose what works best for YOU. If you like using the bucket then just buy a new one that you know is clean and ready to use....

-Tripod

I started with Glass carboys and I wouldn't think of going to a bucket 'cept for bottling day and a place to keep sanitizer in the general area I'm working. Racking is easier, I know where I am in relation to the trub in the glass while racking. Seeing is better than feeling. My 2cents as a newb brewer.:mug:

I am a Sanke Keg fermenter guy myself. Love em and I am truely disapointed when I have to use anything else. I understand the appeal of glass but i just can't get over the breakage issue - but to each their own.

Plus one on the plastic bucket.

Love the banter, but what are the pink spots and has anyone else gotten them? The two buckets in question have about four to six batches each and I keep them clean. Additionally, I lease a few ounces of cleaner in each when they are on standby.
I just reused one yesterday and I'd like to know the why, where and how.

+1 on buckets. I have been using the same bucket for about a year now and one thing I really try to do is make sure it is completely dry after use. Not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but could the pink spots possibly be algae?

I always find that if I am concerned at all about anything, I take the safe route to relieve my anxiety. Buckets being as cheap as they are, I would just get a new one if it would make you feel better.

I started brewing in plastic, but have been making wine since I was 12 with my dad. We use glass for that and I thought I have so many carboys why not use them? Long story short I have switched, I have never heard of a carboy breaking until I started reading this forum. Obviously they can break, but I guess I am just careful and pay attention to what I am doing.

This all being said I doubt there is any advantage end product wise for either type of material. Sanitization and care of equipment equal.

I did a little research and it appears the spots are a byproduct of a fungus (Paecilomyces - Hyphomycetes). They are naturally occuring in the air and on the ground. Ideally, they need three things to grow and I gave it to them, food, warm & moisture.
I bottled three batches on a Sunday. I left the open buckets with traub outside until Monday night. When I cleaned them, I left santizer in the bottom of the bucket.
As someone stated, dry the buckets after cleaning and don't leave them outside and open.
After what I've read, I've decided to continue to use the buckets. This same fungus is commonly found in pools and in grass, so our exposure to it is very frequent.

As for the plastic spots:

My feeling is that unless you're putting something pink in your bucket, then pink spots are the product of SOME kind of chemical reaction. If you can't wash the pink-spots off, then the chemical - whatever it is - has impregnated the plastic of your bucket. If it were me, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving something I planned to drink in a corrupted plastic container for three weeks.

Maybe brew something you plan to give away in that bucket? To people you don't like much?

As for glass vs. plastic. . .

I hate my glass carboy. It's IMPOSSIBLE to clean, I have to wrap it in a blanket to keep sunlight out, and it weighs a ton. I switched FROM glass TO plastic. Unless it's going to take more than three months to ferment and condition, I never use the glass carboy. I really don't think it's fair to say that plastic is "for noobs."

That said. . . if you get some kind of psychic benefit from using glass, more power to you. It's all about doing what you love.

Back