Plastic carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astael

Reaction score
**I found info on this subject, after I posted, can't seem to figure out how to delete it.

Is it true there a special or certain type plastic used for plastic carboys? Say I wanted to purchase the plastic carboy with spring water at the supermarket, for $5.00. OR spend a lot more on the plastic carboy "Manufactured by Better Bottle out of a 'special plastic' that does not allow air to pass through, similar to glass". $32.99.

Supposedly the 'special plastic' is made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastic, and supposedly PET plastics are coded with the resin identification code number "1" (inside the universal recycling symbol, usually located on the bottom of the container.) So if the carboys at the supermarket have the identification code number "1", it should be the same, I would guess. Other than , the more expensive is likely thicker plastic then the spring water filled
carboy for the supermarket. Any educated guesses on this subject, or has anyone tried this with success?

The info I found was all on this site, in the wine making forum.

From what I gathered some people use non polyethylene terephthalate plastics for secondary. But most use polyethylene terephthalate plastic because other plastics allow
air through.

Back