plastic after pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonstewartstwin

Reaction score
I have a barley wine infected by a pellicle... do i need to scrap all my plastic brew gear, or will a bleach soak and some one step take care of it?

i put my fermener thru the dishwasher a couple times after an infection .. i havent used it yet but i think that would have killed anything that might be there ... I will also give it some special attention when i santize it next time .. my hoses and auto siphon i just kept using with normal sanitizing b4 i even knew about the infection .. and they are fine

I have a barley wine infected by a pellicle... do i need to scrap all my plastic brew gear, or will a bleach soak and some one step take care of it?

I wouldn't scrap it all. Cheap things (like tubing), you might as well buy new. But pretty much everything else can be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

Next time you break your racking cane (I've been through a few), I recommend replacing it with a stainless racking cane. You won't break it, and you can boil it rather than simply sanitizing it.

Latest posts

Back