Plantain beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isometric

Reaction score
I searched plantain beer and there wasn't much information and what people were talking about was to add some plantains into a malted barley beer, not a plantain only beer. I am going to try to make plantain only beer. What I was thinking to let a plantain ripen as much possible to convert the majority of the starches into sugars, then boild the plantain, then strian it. After that cool it and put it in a fermentor and add yeast. Any ideas or thoughts. Right now the plantian is green so it should be like in a week when it's ripe.

I googled fermented banana beverages since bananas are similar enough to plantains. My quick google shows one part water to 4 parts banana juice.

This is interesting. If you do it, let us know how it turns out.

You should definitely let us know how it turns out. Maybe do a one gallon batch to start with? Might be helpful to add a little bit of sugar, just a couple of ounces or so, and perhaps even yeast nutrient would help your fermentation. If you don't have yeast nutrient, I've heard that just tossing some baker's yeast into the end of the boil will do the trick.

Hope it goes well!

Interesting ... Do plantains have the necessary enzymes? Those things are starchy. You may still need some grain. And I wonder about the pectin?

Interesting ... Do plantains have the necessary enzymes? Those things are starchy. You may still need some grain. And I wonder about the pectin?

They ripen off the vine - sounds like enzymatic conversion to me. Or magic.

Back