Planning to do steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solidghost

Reaction score
Well guys, I have brewed about 5 batches of kits and extract beers. Now I am looking to steeping grains which I am a bit confused about how to go about doing it.

So here are the questions which I hope you guys can help out

1. What kind of grains can I use for steeping? I saw my homebrew shop selling different types of grains but can I use them? I saw they have Briess Pale Malt, Maris Otter Malt, Vienna Malt and so on.

2. I have read that you steep them at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes. But how do you guys maintain/control that kind of temperature? By reducing the flame?

3. I was thinking of using kits (goo in a can) + steeping grains instead of just malt extract + steeping grains. Is it feasible? I mean steeping grains is just like adding more malt extract into the wort, just that it is supposed to be "fresher".

Thanks guys! Can't wait to see how well using steeping grains will improve my beers.

1. Any grain you can mash, you can steep.

2. 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Use a thermometer to monitor the temps, and raise and lower the heat to maintain.

3. It is, but why would you want to? If I may, I would suggest using DME whenever possible for a better product. You will get a beer that stays closer to the intended color, and you can avoid what some people refer to as "Extract twang".

Steeping grains does add some fermentables to the Wort, but it also adds some complexity and color to it. I haven't brewed a beer without using steeping grains since my third batch.

1. read this:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13.html
2. yes, when I did extract w/speciality grains, I would just get the steep up to 150-155 and adjust the heat down to maintain the temp.
3. You can use canned extract but my pref w/ extract is to use DME if I am not certain of the freshness of the LME. I would avoid pre-hopped extract and add your own hop additions. Steeping is not like adding more extract, it's adding flavor w/ a small amount of fermentable content.

Steeping grain will add additional flavor and complexity to your brews over straight extract beers and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Next step PM!! :)

I wouldn't try steeping base malts (i.e. Briess Pale Malt, Maris Otter Malt) as you won't really get anything out of them, stick to the specialty malts that don't need conversion, the crystal malts are a good steeping choice.

When dealing with grains that don't need conversion, just get your water up to 165-ish and let them steep for 15-30 minutes, don't worry about the temp to much (just let the temp drop) as all you are doing is disolving the sugars (mostly unfermentable) from the grains instaed of converting the starches to sugers through mashing.

I've got the porter from that chapter in primary now, but there are also many other recipes in chapter 20. I've steeped grains in my first two batches so far, and it is really quite simple. I use an instant read digital thermometer to check the water temp and keep it close, but from what I've read a little fluctuation in temp is okay while steeping.

I wouldn't try steeping base malts (i.e. Briess Pale Malt, Maris Otter Malt) as you won't really get anything out of them, stick to the specialty malts that don't need conversion, the crystal malts are a good steeping choice.

When dealing with grains that don't need conversion, just get your water up to 165-ish and let them steep for 15-30 minutes, don't worry about the temp to much (just let the temp drop) as all you are doing is disolving the sugars (mostly unfermentable) from the grains instaed of converting the starches to sugers through mashing.

Ya, I was wondering about that. When I asked about steeping base malts, the store guy seemed to be a bit surprised.

So, its feasible for just these kinds of speciality malts like Crystal malts? How do you know which grains don't need conversion?

Since you seem to be new at this (as am I), I might suggest getting a kit from Austin Homebrew, Midwest, or another online retailer. Heck, your local store might have their own. These are excellent kits that have the grains already crushed and measured out for you. That way, someone has come up with the recipe for you and you don't have to do too much your first time. When you get more advanced, you can play around with the different grains to make the beer different colors and such. Don't worry about it at all. It's just like making a big pot of tea.

Since you seem to be new at this (as am I), I might suggest getting a kit from Austin Homebrew, Midwest, or another online retailer. Heck, your local store might have their own. These are excellent kits that have the grains already crushed and measured out for you. That way, someone has come up with the recipe for you and you don't have to do too much your first time. When you get more advanced, you can play around with the different grains to make the beer different colors and such. Don't worry about it at all. It's just like making a big pot of tea.

Yup, that's the plan. But I wanted more info first before going into it.
Thanks man!

Yup, that's the plan. But I wanted more info first before going into it.
Thanks man!

If your going to buy a kit online, may I suggest Northern Brewer. They give you the exact inventory of each kit, so you know what your getting. They really don't stray from the four basic ingredients of extract brewing (extract, specialty grains, hops, and yeast) so you know your not getting a bunch of corn sugar or something like that, and their liquid extract is fresh made. The best thing to do is make your purchase from your LHBS, but if that's not possible, this would be a good way to go, imo.

Back