Planning on first build that will allow upgrades.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to work on some wiring tonight since the boys were being good :). Got my spa panel hooked up. And had to rewire a few times since the Gfci kept tripping. Had the Neutral wired wrong. But got it working after a while. Plugged in the beast and we have power! :) Tomorrow I have my other contactor showing up along with another Pid so I guess I will be drilling and wiring them up tomorrow. Also got some work done on the actual brewery space. Got some cement board up on the wall on top of the studs and insulation. This weekend hoping to build up the rest of the walls and figure out where to get a vent drilled for some ventilation when the time comes. So Excited!!!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394692982.156303.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394692996.966616.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394693004.401280.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394693035.200387.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394693048.782017.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Got my 2 kettles drilled for the elements tonight. Here are some pictures of the 8 gallon Mega Pot I am gonna use as my HLT. Also have a 16 Gallon Bayou Pot for my Boil Kettle. Leak check went well so I am happy!

Also started cutting out the control panel for my 2nd PID to monitor temps coming out of my MLT. Might have to get a different thermocouple for it though. It came with a style K which I am not sure if I can use. Gonna try it but if it doesn't work then will spend the extra bucks to get another RTD sensor.

Also got my other contactor today. Wish there was more time in a day to get more done. Still need to drill the MEga pot for the Herms coil. Maybe tomorrow night :) Gonna use my old immersion chiller as the coil for now. Maybe someday I will upgrade to a stainless coil. I also made up my DIY CFC tonight. Thankfully not too hard to make up.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394771335.387994.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394771344.949210.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394771352.517410.jpg

Decided to work on some wiring tonight since the boys were being good :). Got my spa panel hooked up. And had to rewire a few times since the Gfci kept tripping. Had the Neutral wired wrong. But got it working after a while. Plugged in the beast and we have power! :) Tomorrow I have my other contactor showing up along with another Pid so I guess I will be drilling and wiring them up tomorrow. Also got some work done on the actual brewery space. Got some cement board up on the wall on top of the studs and insulation. This weekend hoping to build up the rest of the walls and figure out where to get a vent drilled for some ventilation when the time comes. So Excited!!!!

View attachment 185523View attachment 185524View attachment 185525View attachment 185526View attachment 185527

You need to protect those orange power cables where they come out of the box.

Not disagreeing with you guys at all. However, since the OP doesn't really seem to know what he will need for his future HERMS system, running a 50A service leaves him with the most flexibility in the future.

I agree I am I'm the process of converting to electric. I am having an electrician come to install a sub panel run the 50 amp service the cost for me is $800 that included the permit.

A question along that thought. Can one run a 30A system on a 50A supply without problems or safety concerns?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

A question along that thought. Can one run a 30A system on a 50A supply without problems or safety concerns?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

No. A system that has wiring and components rated at 30a needs a 30a breaker to protect it. You could put a 30a breaker in the control panel itself, and have a 50a supply feeding the control panel. You also need a GFCI.

For what? I doubt that's food safe. You never know what flavors your beer could pick up from that. There's lots of good silicon hose from all the home brew supply places. Don't cut corners on your hose.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

So I decided to spend the extra on the tubing and added it to my Bargain Fittings order.

So last night I setup on a temp table and plugged in a few things and filled up my HLT and BK and tried out each element and they both worked :ban: Didn't take the BK to boiling yet but did get my MLT upto 180 in about 10 minutes with 8 Gallons water.

I have to work on my pumps tonight. I have 2 pumps from greatbrewpumpeh and they kept losing suction last night. I read today about the priming with them and never realized that. So hopefully that will take care of things.

Getting so excited now about my build. Will post some more pictures when I get a change.

I also rewired my Spa panel so that the main power in and the dryer out are both secured.

Quick update:

Boil Kettle went from 70 degrees to full boil in 30 minutes with 6 gallons of water. :rockin:

Also got my pumps running not that I know to prime them first.

I just wanted to tell the guys building their E-brewery's, keep the faith. I just brewed on my build for the first time and it was so sweet. It was fast,easy, and took a lot less effort than LP. Now that I brew electric, I could never go back. And yes I blew my 500$ budget out of the water, but it was worth every penny.

So life has been pretty hectic lately but I am slowly making some progress on my Ebrew room build. Since my whole basement is getting remodeled, I still have to work on the other areas as well to keep the wife happy. :p

I got most of the tile up behind the brew stand and hoping to get it grouted this weekend. I also put up half the drop ceiling with lights. And have all my kettles ready for a full water test this weekend.

I am in the process of planning the ventilation now. I got my fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS7W5ZQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And plan on using stainless duct. Should be a straight 10' run to the outside with one elbow. But now I need to figure out a hood.

I came across this the other day at Ikea and was wondering if anyone had any input on it to use as a hood.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70102972/#/00130129

Figure I could cut out a 6" hole on the top to run up through the ceiling to a 90 degress elbow and out. And most likely get the fan installed somewhere along the run. Also figured that if I don't like the clear bin I could always try and paint. So any thoughts?

One of these days I will get some updated pictures going too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after brewing up a couple of batches on my new system, I think I need to upgrade the size of my hlt. Currently it is a mega pot 8 gal with my herms coil. I found a 80qt concord stainless pot for about $90 at my lhbs and thought that that would be perfect. I find that the 8 gallon pot is a pain since I have to refill it after filling my mash tun and have to wait while the water heats up again. Any thoughts there?

Also, would I be better moving all my fittings to the new pot or selling off my e-hlt and starting from scratch with the new pot?

Move you're fittings. I bet you'd be lucky to get 50% of what you spent back if you sell it whole. Maybe you'll sell the kettle, Maybe not but I bet you take less of a loss just moving things over.

Back