Planning my road trip across the nation, Beer Tour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have wanted to do something like this a long time, and now I feel I have a good reason to. To visit the best breweries and pubs in America! Obviously due to time and financial restraint, can't visit them all, but I have a rough image of the path taken and if I can manage to hit a lot of places not far off the path, I think that could be considered a win. Thinking about starting east out of Alabama to Atlanta and up to New York, get on I-80 which will take me close to Michigan, Wisconsin, through Illinois, and close to Colorado. From there head north to Washington/Oregon area, south to California and eventually east again on either I-40 or I-10/20. It wont be till fall at the earliest, realistically I am looking at spring 2011, but I have people who are interested in coming with, so that helps. I am just starting to piece together the list of place to go and I was hoping everyone here could give me a hand. I have a list partially made, and I know many will unfortunately end up getting cut, but I feel it is probably easier to start with the full list and cut down from there. Let me know what you think and if there are any good places I missed. Thanks in advance.

Deschutes Brewing- Bend Oregon
Sprecher Brewing- Glendale Wisconsin
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)- Boston Massachusetts
Terrapin Beer Company- Atlanta, Georgia
Sweetwater Brewing- Atlanta Georgia
Great Divide- Denver, Colorado
Avery Brewery- Bolder Colorado
Ommegang Brewery- Cooperstown, New York
Stone Brewing Co- Escondido, California
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales- Dexter, Michigan
New Glarus Brewing Company- New Glarus Wisconsin
Rogue Ales- Newport, Oregon
Bell’s Brewery- Kalamazoo, Michigan
The Lost Abbey- San Marcos, California
Three Floyds- Munster, Indiana
Russian River Brewing- Santa Rosa, California
Allagash Brewing- Portland Maine
Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales- Milton Delaware
Goose Island- Chicago Illinois
The Alchemist Pub and Brewery- Waterbury Vermont
Four Peaks Brewing Company- Temple Arizona
Sunset Grill and Tap- Allston, Massachusetts
The Thirsty Monk- Asheville, N.C.
James E. McNellie’s Public House- Tulsa Oklahoma
Uber Tavern – Seattle Washington (can fill up a growler)
Burp Castle- New York
1702- Tucson Arizona
Falling Rock Taphouse –Denver Colorado
Brick Store Pub- Decatur Georiga
The J. Clyde- Birmingham Alabama

In Milwaukee, Sprecher is "meh" but Lakefront is terrific. They do a much better tour than Sprecher, and the beer is better. If you happen to hit Milwaukee on a Friday night, they have a "Fish Fry Brewery Tour". That's just what it sounds like- a brewer tour, followed by a Wisconsin Friday night tradition, fish fry. Of course, you get polka music as well.

New Glarus is awesome. It's about 90 minutes drive from Milwaukee.

If you're going to Bell's, make it a bit longer and go to Founder's. Oh, and check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/road-trip-brew-tour-176739/ I'm doing Michigan breweries this fall, and using this for my trip planning!

If you're going to be at Ommegang, you don't have an excuse not to stop at Cooperstown Brewing. It is literally 5 minutes down the road.

http://www.cooperstownbrewing.com/

If you're a baseball fan, the Hall of Fame is about 15 minutes in the other direction.

I'll mention Rock Art Brewery in VT, which is close to Burlington, also where Magic Hat is. Very close to Waterbury, VT which is on your list already.

Good luck on your quest. It adds a nice twist to what I've always wanted to do... which is drive across the US.

Never had any of the Lakefront beers or cooperstown, but I will do some reading on them, especially for that fish fry ;). I heard Portland is home to the best pubs in the nation and I would love to hear more about em.

Sprecher is meh on their tour? that's disappointing. But I really do love their beer, their triple being my favorite.

According to googlemaps, starting in Birmingham Alabama, to Atlanta, to New York, then to Dever, up to Seattle, to Sacremento (just chose it at random, not very good with California geography) to Dallas and finally back to Birmingham will take me 7200miles and over 4 straight days of driving lol. And I plan on this taking about 2 1/2 wks.

Sprecher is meh on their tour? that's disappointing. But I really do love their beer, their triple being my favorite.

Yes, their beers ARE good! But the tour is not as great as some of the others you'll see. And you can buy beer in their store, but it's more expensive there than at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee. It's around $3 for 4 sample tickets, and you get a keepsake glass. The tour lasts about an hour or so. It's not bad, but compared to Lakefront, New Glarus, or some of those other breweries, it's really just "meh".

According to googlemaps, starting in Birmingham Alabama, to Atlanta, to New York, then to Dever, up to Seattle, to Sacremento (just chose it at random, not very good with California geography) to Dallas and finally back to Birmingham will take me 7200miles and over 4 straight days of driving lol. And I plan on this taking about 2 1/2 wks.

You mention Maine and Vermont in your list of states to visit according to brewery, but when you talk about driving directions, you only mention NY. It may change your plans that Cooperstown, NY and Waterbury, VT are a good 5 hrs from each other... Portland, ME and Allagash would be another 1+ at the very least from northern VT. I love your plans, but don't want you to get too far off track just to visit 1 or 2 breweries. If you wanna do the Dogfish/Boston/Maine/VT/NY I'd personally head up the east coast to Portland than back down through VT and NY before heading back out west.

You mention Maine and Vermont in your list of states to visit according to brewery, but when you talk about driving directions, you only mention NY. It may change your plans that Cooperstown, NY and Waterbury, VT are a good 5 hrs from each other... Portland, ME and Allagash would be another 1+ at the very least from northern VT. I love your plans, but don't want you to get too far off track just to visit 1 or 2 breweries. If you wanna do the Dogfish/Boston/Maine/VT/NY I'd personally head up the east coast to Portland than back down through VT and NY before heading back out west.

Right, I know a few I mentioned are a ways out of the way, and I have a feeling they will unfortunately fall by the wayside. Still, the track I laid down is tentative and only a rough sketch of the direction I am going, all of it is currently flexible.

There are a few others that people have mentioned from my homebrew group, and I think I have to add Surly from Michigan to the list of potentials.

There are some new ones in Chicago: Half Acre & Revolution. New Glarus has a beautiful new brewery. I'm not a fan of Spotted Cow, but I love their brown ale, stout, & IPA. Sounds like an awesome trip. I used to drink at the Sunset in Allston, MA. Lived about two blocks away. I was there in '89 or '90ish when Jim Koch had a release party for SA Stock Ale. I was brewing back then, and my friend and I spoke with to him for about an hour. He said homebrew couldn't be any good because homebrewers didn't have any control over the process. I laugh now because he certainly has changed that tune. I would love to take a trip like that.

If you're set on Sprecher, do the Beer and Cheese pairing tour. After the regular "meh" tour, they bring you aside to a tasting room and you get a real rundown on some great beers. a few more $$ but it's awesome.

But you have to do Lakefront for sure in Milwaukee. Awesome beers, awesome tour, awesome fish. Also, in-between Milwaukee and New Glarus there's a brewery called Tyranena. It's right on the freeway in Lake Mills, just east of madison. pretty good stuff and wouldn't put a dent in your schedule.

also if you have more time in milwaukee, Milwaukee Ale House (a brewpub) puts out some good beers, and they have two casks, usually filled with their Porter. It's right on the river in the 3rd Ward, nice area.

For Sprecher, the Beer and Cheese pairing tour, you get to sample a lot more beers than the regular. and some odd stuff, like their generation porter, gluten-free, etc.

Personally, I would say if you're coming through on I-80 to get to Denver you're going to be driving right past Fort Collins coming south on I-25. You'd really be doing yourself a disservice not to stop at Odell Brewing Co. (and others in Fort Collins if you like). If it were me I'd skip Great Divide and stop at Odells and then head to Boulder for Avery so you could hit the 2 best breweries in the state (in my opinion). However, if you're coming back to town for the Falling Rock anyhow you could still do it. Odells is just so far superior to Great Divide it's not even funny.

That being said, I envy your trip! That would be absolutely awesome! Good luck and have a great time!

gratus fermentatio- I will have to make note of those as I was hoping to find something to do between colorado and WA/OR.

jmkratt- Odell over Great Divide huh? I haven't had anything from Odell but I will definitely look into them. If they are so head and shoulders above Great Divide, I may very well just make that swap.

jmkratt- Odell over Great Divide huh? I haven't had anything from Odell but I will definitely look into them. If they are so head and shoulders above Great Divide, I may very well just make that swap.

Well that's my personal opinion. If you like Great Divide you should check it out. You could really do both if you're able. I just am not a fan of the GD beers aside from the various Yeti offerings.

I was hoping somebody would make that offer ;) I do plan on loading up a cooler with homebrew to share/swap with brewers.

I remember you homebrewer_99, we have passed a few messages back and forth. I am originally from Geneseo IL.

Sounds like a great plan. I will keep in touch. It will be a while before I get to go. Find people who are willing to come with, plan the route, get off work, save the money etc.

There are a few others that people have mentioned from my homebrew group, and I think I have to add Surly from Michigan to the list of potentials.

Well, Surly is awesome. Completely awesome. They have a tasting room with great beers- even a mild! They can all of their beer. I even mentioned the other day that I was looking forward to getting it in the can.

Anyway, the only problem with Surly is that it's in Minnesota. I was just there on Wednesday. Here's a picture of me with Omar Ansari, the President/owner:
DSCF2756.jpg

Surly is in Minneapolis.

Surly is one that was high on my list. But you are right, that is a major deviation from my current road plan. Though if I altered it to go up on I-90 then I-25S to Denver, it may work...but that is a lot of extra time :/ though a friend of mine is in Minneapolis for a week this summer. I will try to get her to pick me up some.

Surly is one that was high on my list. But you are right, that is a major deviation from my current road plan. Though if I altered it to go up on I-90 then I-25S to Denver, it may work...but that is a lot of extra time :/ though a friend of mine is in Minneapolis for a week this summer. I will try to get her to pick me up some.

Well, from New Glarus to Minneapolis is not that far. It's maybe, I don't know, 5 hours? Most of it would be on I-94. Near New Glarus is Madison, which has a cool vibe and some brewpubs. Nothing in the class of some of the Denver places or out west, but a Milwaukee/New Glarus/Minneapolis trip would be fun. Milwaukee and Minneapolis are about 6-6.5 hours apart.

It really would depend on what your route is going to be. In lower Michigan, you could easily spend 4-5 days on breweries and brewpubs there. By comparison, the breweries in Wisconsin are smaller and more spread out.

right. That was a path I had considered. The logic behind following I-80 is because it is a direct route to my hometown were we wouldn't have to worry about getting a hotel. If time wasn't a factor I would take my time through those areas...But as it stands now, i would be lucky to get 2 1/2 wks to do this...which means I most likely would not be able to do the entire trip. but dang it I am going to try ;)

If you are going to Russian River in Santa Rosa, CA, you have to go to Lagunitas in Petaluma. It's only about 10 miles away in Petaluma, CA. They give tours at 3PM and you get to taste almost every brew.

Back