planning first GF beer... some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margiwarg

Reaction score
Hello! I am in the planning stages of making my first GF beer. I have brewed several batches of beer before using extract, but have always just mindlessly followed recipes. For the first batch I want to keep it pretty simple, and make an extract IPA. I have been reading through the forums here and have a few questions and wanted to check a few things before I embark.

1. Sorghum:brown rice syrup ratio
From reading here it sounds like sorghum doesn't taste so great, and many prefer to up the amount of BRS to minimize the sorghum flavour. If I am trying to make a hoppy IPA, any opinions on what would be a good ratio?

2. yeast nutrient/DiAmmonium Phosphate
Ok, so is it correct that you would want to add this when the sorghum is 50% or less of the fermentables to make up for the lower free amino nitrogen? Is ~1tsp/6gal about right? And when in the brewing process do you add it?

3. maltodextrin
Is this generally recommended for GF beers? Or just when you are going for a certain type of beer? I've read different suggestions for when to add it... either at the end of boiling, or when you're priming for bottling. Does the timing of when you add it make a difference? And does 4-5oz in a 6gal batch sound about right?

thanks very much for any advice!

Hello! I am in the planning stages of making my first GF beer. I have brewed several batches of beer before using extract, but have always just mindlessly followed recipes. For the first batch I want to keep it pretty simple, and make an extract IPA. I have been reading through the forums here and have a few questions and wanted to check a few things before I embark.

1. Sorghum:brown rice syrup ratio
From reading here it sounds like sorghum doesn't taste so great, and many prefer to up the amount of BRS to minimize the sorghum flavour. If I am trying to make a hoppy IPA, any opinions on what would be a good ratio?

2. yeast nutrient/DiAmmonium Phosphate
Ok, so is it correct that you would want to add this when the sorghum is 50% or less of the fermentables to make up for the lower free amino nitrogen? Is ~1tsp/6gal about right? And when in the brewing process do you add it?

3. maltodextrin
Is this generally recommended for GF beers? Or just when you are going for a certain type of beer? I've read different suggestions for when to add it... either at the end of boiling, or when you're priming for bottling. Does the timing of when you add it make a difference? And does 4-5oz in a 6gal batch sound about right?

thanks very much for any advice!

1. I think I've been using a higher 'sorghum' ratio than most of the guys here (I've used 5-6 lbs of sorghum and 1 lb rice extract in several batches). Are you basing this on a non-gf recipe? If so, how much of what extract was in the original?

2. This sounds reasonable to me.

3. I usually use maltodextrin, as it seems that sorghum syrup is lower in the dextrins that are commonly found in barley malt (and I think rice extract is even low, and of course sugar is entirely bereft of it). The amount you use, of course, is going to vary. This is where looking at non-gf recipes and doing a bit of research is helpful...

Personally I'd start with a couple ounces for the very light-bodied beers (I've never made something like this), I've been using 4 oz in my batches (which are usually 'medium' bodied), and I wouldn't hesitate to use more on a 'big' beer.

I started out adding it at bottling time, after seeing what the FG came out to be and tasting a sample. You could certainly add it during your boil, I just didn't do it at first because I wasn't sure how much body the sorghum would give me. Now that I've got an idea what to expect from my sorghum, I've been making the decision on the amount ahead of time and using it in the boil.

1. You can use more sorghum in yours since you are going to be blasting the beer with hops. Even all sorghum is probably possible if you are going with citrusy hops.

2. If you use over 50% BRS, use 1tsp. If you use 100% BRS, use 3-4tsp.

3. Maltodextrin can be helpful for full-bodied beers like milds, some porters, browns, etc. Sorghum actually leaves behind just as much sugar for most brands of it as DME/LME, and rice is only slightly less. Maltodextrin is mostly unnecessary for most styles, and should definitely not be used in an IPA, which is typically drier. Unless you are cloning lagunitas anyway...in which case you should use a lot.

And just to dorklord...never use maltodextrin on a big beer. The challenge inherent in high gravity brews is bringing that gravity down, you would hardly ever want to boost it back up. You should in fact use some of the opposite of maltodextrin...corn sugar.

3. Maltodextrin can be helpful for full-bodied beers like milds, some porters, browns, etc. Sorghum actually leaves behind just as much sugar for most brands of it as DME/LME, and rice is only slightly less. Maltodextrin is mostly unnecessary for most styles, and should definitely not be used in an IPA, which is typically drier. Unless you are cloning lagunitas anyway...in which case you should use a lot.

And just to dorklord...never use maltodextrin on a big beer. The challenge inherent in high gravity brews is bringing that gravity down, you would hardly ever want to boost it back up. You should in fact use some of the opposite of maltodextrin...corn sugar.

I should have said 'full bodied' beers, I was meaning big as in 'liquid bread' not big as OG.

I'm sure we could have a whole thread about the use of maltodextrin, and I don't want to hijack this thread about it, but I've been using it in all my extract brews based on what I found for info back when I bought the first couple jugs of sorghum last year. I think I saw it initially on Briess's website in their 'info' about it, and it was part of the description from some places selling it: "White Sorghum Extract can tend to finish with a light specific gravity, so adding maltodextrin (at a rate of 5-10 percent of total extract weight) may be advisable."

I would guess that it wouldn't be necessary when using enough steeped specialty grains or doing a mash.

Oh, and to the OP, whether you use maltodextrin or not, you'll get beer.

I should have said 'full bodied' beers, I was meaning big as in 'liquid bread' not big as OG.

I'm sure we could have a whole thread about the use of maltodextrin, and I don't want to hijack this thread about it, but I've been using it in all my extract brews based on what I found for info back when I bought the first couple jugs of sorghum last year. I think I saw it initially on Briess's website in their 'info' about it, and it was part of the description from some places selling it: "White Sorghum Extract can tend to finish with a light specific gravity, so adding maltodextrin (at a rate of 5-10 percent of total extract weight) may be advisable."

I would guess that it wouldn't be necessary when using enough steeped specialty grains or doing a mash.

Oh, and to the OP, whether you use maltodextrin or not, you'll get beer.

I have found that actually Brewcraft seems to have that problem, while Briess seems to ferment right at around that 75% range.

OK, threadjack over.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like IPAs can work well with GF which is nice since they are my fave anyway. I'm not following a specific recipe but have looked at many to get an idea. I'm making a 6gal batch, will probably use 10lb syrup, Magnum for bittering, Chinook and cascade for finishing, and dry hop with cascade.

Sorghum is cheaper and easier for me to get locally, but I will poke around the health food stores to see if I can find a bit of BRS to add.

I think I will try and keep it simple for the first GF batch and not put in any additives. I'll see how it goes... it will be the first GF beer I've ever tasted! Depending on the outcome might experiment with the maltodextrin in the future - so feel free to threadjack as I'm interested in the topic!

Thanks for the input! Sounds like IPAs can work well with GF which is nice since they are my fave anyway. I'm not following a specific recipe but have looked at many to get an idea. I'm making a 6gal batch, will probably use 10lb syrup, Magnum for bittering, Chinook and cascade for finishing, and dry hop with cascade.

Sorghum is cheaper and easier for me to get locally, but I will poke around the health food stores to see if I can find a bit of BRS to add.

I think I will try and keep it simple for the first GF batch and not put in any additives. I'll see how it goes... it will be the first GF beer I've ever tasted! Depending on the outcome might experiment with the maltodextrin in the future - so feel free to threadjack as I'm interested in the topic!

Do you know what yeast you are planning on using?

Feel free to post up the recipe, especially if you have any particular questions.

Oh, and another thought, you're looking at sorghum (grain) extract, right? Not sorghum syrup or molasses?

I've done a few 100% sorghum extract batches and it wasn't that bad. I think an IPA covers or compliments enough of the sorghum twang that I had it recommended to me from some other people when I was first considering brewing.

I'm of the frame of mind that it's better to understand the base ingredients before combining if possible. And it's still drinkable, just that some people disagree with the flavor more than others, and certainly if it's the only flavor you really taste consistently, you'll want to find an alternative, but nothing wrong with an all sorghum extract batch.

Unless you've planned it out, usually as a second attempt, I'd say maltodextrin after. I think you can test it out by adding maltodextrin to the bottle or even to the glass. (I'd dissolve a spoonful in about a spoonfull of water before pouring the beer in though) and I was testing results out that way. The only time I got wierd floating chunks of maltodextrin is when I didn't dissolve it first.

Latest posts

Back