Planning 1st AG Brew-MO Smash but what hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which hops to use in the MO Smash?

• Amarillo

• Citra

• Mosaic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife got me my starter kit last Christmas and I am now going to AG after this Christmas. I am planning doing a MO smash on my first AG brewday but can't decide on the hops to use. My options are between Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic.

I have seen all three used many times on the forums and I am curious to see how these shake out head to head to head...

I have a pack of Nottingham yeast that came from a kit that I didn't use, and I was going to use that, but I am open to suggestions if there is one that you really recomend.

My wife got me my starter kit last Christmas and I am now going to AG after this Christmas. I am planning doing a MO smash on my first AG brewday but can't decide on the hops to use. My options are between Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic.

I have seen all three used many times on the forums and I am curious to see how these shake out head to head to head...

I have a pack of Nottingham yeast that came from a kit that I didn't use, and I was going to use that, but I am open to suggestions if there is one that you really recomend.

I would not use Nott with those hops if you have a choice. US05 is the way to go; it has a cleaner ferment.

In order, my preference is:

Amarillo
Citra
Mosaic

The July-August 2014 issue of BYO has a Citra SMaSH recipe using MO and US05 - That would be my vote of your choices,. But IO prefer the NZ Hops over all.

I've done a MO/Amarillo, and a 2-row/Citra SMash, and I just tasted a buddy's MO/Mosiac. My preference was for the Citra, but I want to do it with the MO. I did 1.25 oz at 15 and 10, 1 oz at 5 and flame-out, and 3 oz dry hopped. The only thing I would do differently is bump all the boil additions to 1.5 oz. Nice bitterness, none of the "cat piss" so many complain about, and great tropical aroma.

Latest posts

Back