Places to find food grade sanitizing chem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaramo

Reaction score
I want to purchase B-brite, but I don't want to have to purchase it from a brew-shop...they are all a decent drive from where I live. Do they sell B-brite at grocery stores, Home Depot, Wal-mart, etc???

Thanks

Never seen B-Brite except in a homebrew shop.
According to the container that I have, it is a cleanser and not a sanitizer.
If you want a commonly available cleanser, then Oxi-Clean works very well.
If you want a commonly available sanitizer, then bleach is the only one I am aware of, but I prefer to spend a bit more and mail order Iodophor. (I can't buy it locally.)

-a.

correct, ajf... beer brite is a cleaner (and one that needs to be rinsed a LOT, from my experience.) I prefer to use just regular old dish soap over BBrite, honestly.

I used to use BBrite or soap to clean and bleach to sanitize, just as you mention. It was a slight pain due all the rinsing that I had to do, but it works just fine and is probably what I would do if I did not have a LHBS.

Also, I agree that you will be very happy if you mail-order a big bottle iodophor or pick one up the next time you happen to be at the not-so-local brewshop.

I use soap and iodophor for everything now.

-walker

seanhagerty said:
Oxyclean is a great cleaner. I use starsan for my cleaner. It doesnt get much cheaper than starsan, plus its reusable.

Sean
I agree that OxyClean is a great cleaner, but I would argue that StarSan is NOT. StarSan is a great no-rinse sanitizer, but it's not really meant to be a cleaner. You need to use a cleaner before using a sanitizer.

If you use Oxyclean and fill your carboy FULL make sure you leave it in a bath tub or sink cuz it will foam over.

I use oxyclean all the time and it rocks. When I had the blow out from my 666 beer the carboy was an absolute mess and I was in a hurry to get it cleaned out so I could go to bed. I figured WTF filled it with HOT water and oxyclean let it sit in the sink over ngiht and the next morning the carboy was spotless . . . minus the foam that came out the top and left a nasty gunk of oxyclean and kruesen/trub/general crap on the outside . . . but that rinsed right off with hot water.

Back