Pitt Barrel Cooker (or similar) - Advice For Same Night Clean Up - Hot Coals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Having great success on my new Pitt Barrel Cooker. Looking for some advice regarding what to do after the cooking is done and I want to put the unit away without waiting until next day.

The coals in this could easily burn for 6-8 hours (or more). When I took the charcoal tray out to let the unit cool and set them on the ground, they leave an ashy mess.

I was considering using a small, galvanized trash can to dump the ashes and hot coals in.

What are you guys doing when you don't want to let the unit sit out over night?

PBC 1.jpg

How well does it seal? Generally on a kamado, you just completely close down the air vents and the fire will snuff itself out due to lack of oxygen. A 200# hunk of ceramic usually takes a few hours to cool down, of course, but a steel drum should cool down much faster.

How well does it seal? Generally on a kamado, you just completely close down the air vents and the fire will snuff itself out due to lack of oxygen. A 200# hunk of ceramic usually takes a few hours to cool down, of course, but a steel drum should cool down much faster.

I'll have to look. If I recall, the control vent does not close 100% by design.

I have a UDS and I will echo what bwarbaiany said, I just close all valves and it goes out.

Do you store it inside? I keep mine outside and use a Webber grill cover to cover it.

I put an aluminum serving tray on the bottom to catch all the ash, makes cleaning up pretty easy.

I have a UDS and I will echo what bwarbaiany said, I just close all valves and it goes out.

What's a "UDS"?

Do you store it inside? I keep mine outside and use a Webber grill cover to cover it.

Currently no. I store it in the garage.

I put an aluminum serving tray on the bottom to catch all the ash, makes cleaning up pretty easy.

I did purchase and use the aluminum tray attachment that PBC sells. Works well but leaving it sitting on the patio overnight allowed some ashes to spill on ground.

After doing some research on the PBC it looks like the holes at the top can't be closed and it looks like the vent at the bottom can't really be closed and sealed.

Maybe if you put a ball valve on it it would not allow any air in from the bottom and it should go out.

Just thought of it now, get some sheet magnets and put them over the holes, that should put the fire out pretty quick.

Not sure on how hot you smoke your meat but mine is touchable in less than an hour after closing the valves, is yours on wheels or do you carry it to your garage?

Having great success on my new Pitt Barrel Cooker. Looking for some advice regarding what to do after the cooking is done and I want to put the unit away without waiting until next day.

The coals in this could easily burn for 6-8 hours (or more). When I took the charcoal tray out to let the unit cool and set them on the ground, they leave an ashy mess.

I was considering using a small, galvanized trash can to dump the ashes and hot coals in.

What are you guys doing when you don't want to let the unit sit out over night?

View attachment 572809

I just let it burn itself out then use the shop vac to suck up the ash. Dumping in a trash can would work just as well. Mine lives outdoors most of the time uncovered and I haven’t had any issues with rust so You should be ok leaving it out overnight if need be to let it burn out.

I just let it burn itself out then use the shop vac to suck up the ash. Dumping in a trash can would work just as well. Mine lives outdoors most of the time uncovered and I haven’t had any issues with rust so You should be ok leaving it out overnight if need be to let it burn out.

Excellent... so even if it rains that's ok, correct?

Or dumping into a galvanized can will work, letting it burn out. I competed in the KCBS for years using Weber smokers and use to dump all the coals into a galvanized can with a SS screen on top (to keep sparks from blowing around) after comps and put the can in the back of my truck going home then put in back yard to finish burning, never had an issue.

Back