Pitching yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJJK29

Reaction score
Hey guys!

New brewer here and I have a quick question regarding my dry yeast. It is a Safbrew WB-06 pack for a hefe kit that I purchased. This is my first brew and I am a little confused about how to pitch the yeast.

On the Fermentis website it has some instructions on how to pitch their yeast but it doesn't really answer my question.

On the pack it self it says "Pitching: Sprinkle into wort."

My question is: What should I do? Sprinkle-sit-stir into wort? Re-hydrate-poor-stir?

Can anyone fill me in on the best practice?

I sprinkled dry yeast once, it took 2 days to start fermenting and ended up with an off flavor. If I'm using dry yeast now, I add it to 4oz of very warm water for about 20 minutes.

Another vote for rehydrating. The yeast just performs so much better when rehydrated first. I'm no biologist or anything, but from what I've read, simply sprinkling the yeast shocks the yeast and kills about half the cells by immediately introducing it to a sugar rich environment. Rehydrating it allows the yeast time to wake up and use their stored nutrients to build up their cell walls without dying.

Cool thanks!

One more question. When I add the yeast to my wort should I stir?

It won't hurt it to stir, but the yeast will mix itself just fine if you don't stir.

I ALWAYS rehydrate dry yeast nowadays for all the reasons mentioned above and the fermentation I get is consistently super vigorous. Just download and follow the manufacturer's instructions as they vary slightly for different yeasts.

I do stir after pitching but most of my aeration is done pre-pitching.

Back