Pitching in 5 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realestatecat

Reaction score
So I just put together a Mild Brown Ale from Midwest and after reading a bit about it, I decided to add just a pinch...ok 3 pinches of some Czec Saaz Hops in addition to the the 1 oz of Perle and the 1 oz of Fuggle flavoring. I put it in with about 20 minutes left on the boil and I used about 1/2 oz.

Sooo, First question, what is the likely result of that

And second question, I cooled the wort using Ice and got the temp to around 68-72 or so in just a matter of minutes. Is it possible to pitch when it's too cool, or are my temps ok???

Cooling quickly is important so that you get a good cold break and can get that material out of your beer. 68-72 degrees is a great temperature to pitch at. However, if you were to pitch closer to 62 degrees, you would be better off. When the yeast starts going to work on the wort it will warm up a bit. This will raise the thermal temperature of your wort. If you were to measure the temperature on the outside of your fermenter and on the inside, you would notice a few degrees difference on the inside. If you had some form of temperature control, this would be less of a factor.

So the long and short of it is this. You are fine at that temp but, next time, go about 5 degrees cooler when brewing an Ale.

Your temps are fine and you should have no problems at all.

the temp depends on the yeast you used. In theory for a MILD cooler is better but only a real expert would notice anything.

IT IS possible to pitch to cool because the yeast will go into shock. My thwory is to try to pitch at the same temp the yeast are at.

Pitching temps are really dependent on the specific yeast strain. Generally speaking, I pitch and ferment all my ales at 60 degrees.

Contrary to what Grinder says, even a relatively unexperienced palate can detect unacceptable levels of esters in the finished beer if the fermentation temps exceed the ideal range for the yeast.

I was talking about the difference between pitching at 64 and pitching at 68 - I'm not sure I could taste a beer and say hmmmmmm this was pitched 4 degrees to warm.

Now pitching at 80 degrees maybe if I knew what the beer was suppose to taste like.

Latest posts

Back