Pitching fresh wort onto sacch + bugs cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've got a blueberry melomel that's been fermenting/aging in a 6 gallon carboy with the following yeast+bacteria:

* Wyeast 1388 belgian strong (sacch)
* Wyeast 3278 belgian lambic (sacch, brett, lacto, pedio)
* Paradox Beer Co - Skully Barrel no 38 dregs (sacch, brett, lacto, pedio)
* Almanac Beer Co - Pumpkin Pie de Brettaville dregs (brett)
* Almanac Beer Co - Farmers Reserve Citrus dregs (sacch, lacto)

I'm planning on brewing a sour red with the following grain bill:

* 10.75 lbs - American - Pale 2-row
* 2.2 lbs - American - White Wheat
* 1.15 lbs - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
* 0.3 lbs - Belgian - Special B

60 minute full infusion mash at 154'F
60 minute boil (throw a few cones of cascade in just to call it beer)
Est OG: 1.066

I got the recipe from Dr Lambic's blog: http://lobhob.com/guide/dr-lambics-guide-to-brewing-your-first-s and he recommends first souring with lacto before pitching sacch and then add brett to secondary.

I was hoping to simply add the cooled wort directly to the existing bug/yeast cake and let it go. Is there any disadvantage to not staggering the additions? By not letting the lacto do its work warm am I going to miss out on the lacto sourness?

I do plan on letting this sit for a long time and eventually turn it into a single vessel solera project so if it'll just need time, that's fine with me.

Any advice from others who have done something similar would be great!

I did this with a sour red in January. Pitched a cake that contained Wyeast Lambic Blend, various dregs and wild yeast, and a bit of Nottingham, just to make sure fermentation kicked off in good time. It's been sitting in a closet at room temp for 9 months, and I'm planning for how to cut the acidity in the final bottled product.

Hope that helps.

How long has the first beer been fermenting?

It's been going since February 8, 2016 (8 months, 12 days as of today). I haven't done a gravity check but I can't imagine it hasn't fully attenuated.

My plan is to rack off all the mead onto a few pounds of blueberries for a secondary aging before bottling.

Latest posts

Back