Pitching additional yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordstark

Reaction score
Question:

Should I pitch more yeast in my cider or let it keep doing its thing?

5 Gal Batch using Costco Juice
Added 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
OG 1.063
Dry Nottingham yeast pitched
Fermentation at 63 Degrees
After 7 Days gravity is at 1.040
I want a FG at 1.012ish for 6.8% ABV and sweet cider

Fermentation seems to be going really slow. I put on a blow off tube b/c I thought it would be aggressive, but it wasn't needed at all. When I pitched the yeast I just tossed dry yeast ontop of juice in carboy and gave it a stir - I didn't make a starter w/ pre-mixing it w/ juice.

I would like the cider to be drinkable sooner than later. My plans are to transfer to secondary once FG is met and add some gelatin to help is clear before kegging it.

Thoughts/feeback?

Sounds like it's progressing. I would not pitch more yeast. Nothing seems out of the ordinary from what I read. Maybe does sound a little slow for Notty, but actually the slower the better with cider. Especially since you mentioned that you'd like to drink it sooner than later. I would definitely let it run it's course and leave it alone, as long as it's still going. Are you seeing any burping from your blowoff?

Question:

Should I pitch more yeast in my cider or let it keep doing its thing?

5 Gal Batch using Costco Juice
Added 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
OG 1.063
Dry Nottingham yeast pitched
Fermentation at 63 Degrees
After 7 Days gravity is at 1.040
I want a FG at 1.012ish for 6.8% ABV and sweet cider

Fermentation seems to be going really slow. I put on a blow off tube b/c I thought it would be aggressive, but it wasn't needed at all. When I pitched the yeast I just tossed dry yeast ontop of juice in carboy and gave it a stir - I didn't make a starter w/ pre-mixing it w/ juice.

I would like the cider to be drinkable sooner than later. My plans are to transfer to secondary once FG is met and add some gelatin to help is clear before kegging it.

Thoughts/feeback?

From my experience, you should be good. Day 9 or 10 you should be right where you want to be. Are you planning on a cold crash or just direct to secondary? I just did one at 1.01 (similar temp) and that was about the timeframe with just slightly higher OG (1.068) but I cold crashed it then pitched my Potasssium sorbate and kmeta in the secondary and continued my cold crash. Its mighty tasty- if not just a bit too sweet for me. Mine is usually drinkable and very enjoyable right off of the secondary.

I like mine a tad sweeter than some of people because I am a "half n half" guy.

Sounds like it's progressing. I would not pitch more yeast. Nothing seems out of the ordinary from what I read. Maybe does sound a little slow for Notty, but actually the slower the better with cider. Especially since you mentioned that you'd like to drink it sooner than later. I would definitely let it run it's course and leave it alone, as long as it's still going. Are you seeing any burping from your blowoff?

Thanks! Yes, blowoff is burping every 20-30 secs, but, I didn't know if it was just from the carbonation in the juice. There isn't a head or yeast cake very visible through the glass carboy - I assume the yeast is still in suspension. This being my first cider I'm not sure how clear/cloudy it should look. But, I'm excited as hell to taste it once its done.

From my experience, you should be good. Day 9 or 10 you should be right where you want to be. Are you planning on a cold crash or just direct to secondary? I just did one at 1.01 (similar temp) and that was about the timeframe with just slightly higher OG (1.068) but I cold crashed it then pitched my Potasssium sorbate and kmeta in the secondary and continued my cold crash. Its mighty tasty- if not just a bit too sweet for me. Mine is usually drinkable and very enjoyable right off of the secondary.

I like mine a tad sweeter than some of people because I am a "half n half" guy.

You think I should be at 1.012 in two more days (since yesterday was day 7)? Or you think it'll take another 9-10 days from now? I would like to cold crash, but, don't have a fridge space large enough to store it. I could probably put it in the garage to help it drop to 40 degrees - think that would be worth my time or will the gelatin going into secondary be enough to help it clear? I would love it to be super clear!

Do you keg/force carb yours? I like mine sweeter - like Angry Orchard or Hornsbys/Woodchuck Amber. So, I'm hoping the 1.012 will be about that range.

You think I should be at 1.012 in two more days (since yesterday was day 7)? Or you think it'll take another 9-10 days from now? I would like to cold crash, but, don't have a fridge space large enough to store it. I could probably put it in the garage to help it drop to 40 degrees - think that would be worth my time or will the gelatin going into secondary be enough to help it clear? I would love it to be super clear!

Do you keg/force carb yours? I like mine sweeter - like Angry Orchard or Hornsbys/Woodchuck Amber. So, I'm hoping the 1.012 will be about that range.

I think day 10 you should take a reading; you should be right in your wheelhouse (or pretty close). What is your plan for it carbonation-wise? At the 1.01-12 range it should be slightly sparkling, so if you can't cold crash it, you should pitch your kmeta and Ksorbate to stop the yeast ( I have had notty continue to ferment during cold crash in my fridge, which is below 40); give it a couple of days to settle, then rack it into a secondary after that for a final clearing, preferably in your garage- it may take a week or 2 (or more) to clear enough to bottle or whatever you plan to do with it.

I haven't gotten my ciders to be perfectly clear, but there are ways to do it that I haven't tried; time seems to be the best method overall (i do pre-pitch pectic enzyme, but I never give it enough time to sit afterwards and completely clear, its too tasty) :)

I do force carb. 1.012 is quite sweet to me; a tad sweeter than Hornsbys I think.

Back