Pitching a second yeast of different type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughRichardson

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of Coopers Real Ale brewed with Muntons DME and Wyeast 1968 (smack-pack liquid yeast). Due to a hold up in delivery I think my yeast may have got spoiled by exposure to high temperatures (Singapore climate!!) before it reached me. The pack swelled up OK but when I poured it into brew it did not look right (instead of a creamy beige milk, I had a sort of brown watery stuff with lumps, clumps and even what looked a bit like dry yeast pellets) - It's now been 24 hours with not much activity - a thin foam has formed on the surface, but nothing other than that so far.
I am thinking of giving it another 12 or 24 hours and if no strong fermentation started, I might pitch a second yeast. The only choices I have available are Safale US-05 and the Cooper's ale yeast that came with the can. Coopers yeast does not work so well with malts, so Safale looks like the realistic one.
I will probably take a gravity before doing that just to make sure that there is no significant fermentation happening, but from what I hear, Wyeast is renowned for being very active, so signs are none too great.

Has anyone had experience of mixing Wyeast and Safale 05 and know how such a blend may work out? It could be that the Wyeast has some minimal life left (it has formed that foam at least) - or it might be dead. Not sure what effect a packet of dead yeast would have -if any- on the final beer. It is a very small percentage of volume after all!

Appreciate any feedback from people that may have had similar experiences?

It isn't uncommon for a 24 to 36 hour lag time, depending on temperature and pitching rare,among other things. If you don't get fermentation after 36 hours US-05, being a very neutral yeast, would be a good choice for re-pitching. Just be sure to rehydrate it.

Thanks for that, Bob. I pitched the Wyeast at 20 C, then left it overnight at about 19 C before letting it come back up to 20 again. The package recommended rangte says 18 to 22 C. Good idea on the re-hydrating. I was planning to pitch it in dry, leave a half hour and then aerate a bit (as per the Safale product sheet) -
However as I write, I am starting to hear a bit of activity in the airlock, so maybe the 24 - 36 hour start up might come true instead!!

Next make a starter for the wyeast to check viability, especially in Singapore. Then if your yeast did not make it you can order more before you brew. I don't imagine you got a lhbs around the corner you can just run and grab some from huh?

Hi Rory. Thank you for your input.
At the moment, it looks like I have got away with this batch. The airlock is bubbling at a fairly steady 4.5 second intervals, and a thick krausen has formed of about 1 1/2 inches thick with a few brown streaks. Temperature at around 18 to 19 C and all looks OK now, so i guess I maybe hit the panic button too soon.
However for future reference, could you explain how I would go about your suggestion of:
"Next make a starter for the wyeast to check viability" ? It sounds like good idea but have not had any experience doing that before.

There are plenty of threads on here about it but basically make a 1-2L wort with a gravity of about 1.040 using dme and pitch your yeast into that a week prior or so and let that ferment. The day before you brew put it in the fridge to allow the yeast to flocc out and on brew day decant the liquid off the yeast cake. Pitch the entire cake into your cooled wort. You can check viability by seeing your starter ferment. You can build a stir plate to help with oxygenation of your starter. There are DIY threads on here that show how to make one, they are really easy.

Thank you again, Rory.
I will do a bit of further research on that technique and give it a try. Meanwhile, it looks like my current brew is functioning normally now. Seems like Wyeast liquid smack pack may be a deal more robust than I thought at first - but takes a while longer to get started than the dry yeasts I have used up till now.

I couldn't give you any data on the difference in lag time from liquid to dry, I have never used dry yeast so no clue. I have never had any issues with liquid till now so I don't think I will stray.

Back