Pitching a lager on a yeast cake-your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I brewed a dopplebock about 3 weeks ago. I am now ready to transfer the beer to secondoary carboy for lagering. I want to brew another dopplebock and pitch it on the 1st dopplebocks yeast cake. Here is what I want to do.

1) Sunday---Transfer 1st beer to secondary for lagering.

2) Sunday---Leave about a half inch of beer in the first carboy to "protect" the yeast(kept at about 50F) for the next 36-48 hours.

3) Monday---Brew 2nd dopplebock, then chill it to about 44F to have the trub settle to the bottom on Monday night. This is a method that Palmer uses in his book "Brewing Classic Styles"

4) Tuesday morning---Transfer the 2nd beer onto the first yeast cake. And that's it.

I have 1 small fridge that I do my main fermentation in and I then bring the 2nd carboy over to my brothers house for lagering. I do not have a 2nd fridge at my place to lager in.

Any input and tips would be a big help.

I use the same process and have found it works well. I usually do it all at once though. I ferment in a chest freezer and have found it only takes a couple of hours to go from chiller about 53 to 45. So I brew then put carboys in the freezer. In three hours trub has compacted and wort is 45. I then rack my two finished lagers to their serving keg and immediately rack clear wort off the cold break on top of the cake, aerate with O2 and let it do its thing. I used to wait until the next morning but the quicker you get fermentation started the less chance something else with take hold and give off flavors. Derek

Back