Pitchin' Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timotb

Reaction score
Im thinking about using a single 55 gallon carboy instead of the many 5 gallon carboys this year. In the past I would add a single packet of dry yeast to each 5 gallon container. This worked fine.

If I use the 50 gallon container can I use a single (or 2 or 3) packet for for the whole large batch or do I need to add a single packet for every 5 gallons? In this case 10 packets?

My understanding is yeast is alive and will multiply to fill the container, so only one should be necessary.

One package is generally fine for up to 6 gallons, but if you were doing a 50 gallon batch you'd be severely underpitching. The yeast would reproduce, but they'd get very stressed before fermentation even started.

Yeast is like, $.59 a pack, for the cheaper varieties. I'd spend the extra $4.00 and get enough yeast.

I was thinking of pitching 4 packs to be safe. Not sure how to make starters. Might have to search here for an article on that.

I used 15 gal barrels for my primaries, pitched 1 packet ea from a starter.

For my starter I dissolved the packet in a cup of lukewarm water, I then added that to 2 qts cider in a container with tsp energizer and shook the crap out of it. After 4 hours I added 1/4 cup sugar, waited another 4 hours and pitched.

That was on sunday, It has been blowing out the blowoff tube almost violently ever since. My recipe has 2/3 cup sugar per gallon in 1 batch and 1 lb honey / gal in other batch.

Latest posts

Back