Pitched yeast too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidLunch5211

Reaction score
I have brewed a few beers and never had this questions before. I could not get my wort down below 70 degrees with in 20 min. for my life last night. I am brewing a Anchor Steam clone with 2112 california Yeast. I think the temp was at 90 or so after almost 35 min. I pitched the yeast anyways, my question is could I have killed or damaged the yeast/beer in any way because I am not seeing as much activity in the primary as I usually do?
Cheers!

At worst I think the yeast may produce off flavors because of the high temperature but it wont kill them. They will probably get off to a slow start, so you may not have much activity right away.

I regularly rehydrate dry yeast in 100F water with no problems at all I think you will be ok.

I think I may invest in a wort chiller! Ice baths are just not working for me. The yeast I used was the packet with the activator in it.

Back