Pitched too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
Today was my first 5 gallon brew with steeping grains. Everything went well until I pitched the yeast before aerating the wort. I stirred vigorously after pitching. What will this do to the beer?

I hope you chilled the wort 1st. It's better to mix the wort & top off water,take hydrometer sample,then aerate 1st. Then pitch the yeast.

I always chill, measure, pitch, then aerate. Seems like the best way to get the yeast mixed in.

I don't want the yeast foamed up all over the sides of the fermenter. So I aerate first. I use re-hydrated yeast anyway,so it pours right through & mixes just fine by itself.

Yes I cooled the wort down to about 85* F. Then added about 2 gallons of cold water. I then took a gravity reading of 1.046 (right where Midwest said it should be). I had the yeast rehydrating in 38* C water and pitched it in. It was muntons yeast that came with the Irish Red Ale kit. I then stirred for about 5 minutes. Sounds like I'm ok?

Yea it seems to be good. Had vigorous fermentation for the past 24 hours. The instructions said 5-7 days in primary, then into secondary. I was thinking more like 14 days. Any downside/flavor changes from a longer primary?

Most people skip the secondary altogether anymore unless they are adding fruit, dry hops, oak, etc after fermentation is complete. It is recommended anymore to leave in primary 2-3 weeks as a minimum and then bottle for your basic ales. The yeast have a chance to clean up after themselves and give you a better brew this way.

Back