pitch yeast in barleywine for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
I read a few different threads about this but i just didn't find a clear answer.

I have a barleywine going to be ready for bottling in the next few days/weeks

gravity started at 1.109 ended at 1.030 = 10.4%

yeast used was trappist high gravity (wyeast 3787)

this was brewed back in February and was in the primary for 45 days, then has been sitting on oak in the secondary since (a good 4-5 months)

So my question is that would i need to pitch some yeast in it such as S-05 for bottling, or should there be enough yeast still in suspension after all this time to take care of the carbing over the next few months, even tho its been sitting this long?

anyone with this experience it would greatly be appreciated.

I tend to lean towards adding yeast to beers I age, but mainly just to speed up conditioning. You may be alright, but champagne yeast is dirt cheap and good insurance. I like champagne for bottling because it's neutral, handles alcohol, and doesn't metabolize maltose so it won't further attenuate your beer.

It will still have yeast in suspension, but could take a couple of months (or more) to fully carbonate.

As I understand it, if adding more yeast, you would be better using a champagne yeast, as it only ferments simple sugars and will not eat any of the complex sugars you have in there. Using a different ale yeast would worry me (maybe un-necessarily).

How does a Barleywine taste with a Trappist yeast? They are not normally associated with each other.

well i did a barleywine that was kinda "outside the box" when i tasted it, i tasted really good... there was just a slight ester taste from that yeast strain... i think i went really well together but ill have to see after this oaking is done.. (have not touched it in about 2 months from the last taste test)

Latest posts

Back