Pitch more yeast? Slow fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason81

Reaction score
Yes I know this is a topic that has probably been brought up too many times but I'm looking for a few opinions and I only have internet on my phone so searching through the threads is a pain.

I brewed an all grain APA 12 days ago. Pitched rehydrated us-05. Fermentation took off within 12 hrs but after the 2nd night temps dropped and all krausen dissipated and no further action in the airlock. I just let it be though. OG was 1.060, day7 1.026, day 9 1.024 and today the 12th day its at 1.020. So its still going. Just really slow. OK I think its becoming apparent that I should just wait it out a bit longer and that 5 -8 points isn't much to go but would anybody else recommend pitching more yeast? Maybe just half a packet. I wanted to force carb 2 batches I brewed at the same time for the weekend. My heffweizen had no problems fermenting. My mash temp was 153.

You really should let it go. I would recommend swirling carboy/bucket a few times to rouse as much yeast into suspension and possibly warming it up depending on the current temp. You can easily warm that beer to the mid-70's without risk of off flavors at this point. Those two actions will help the yeast get going again. I don't use dry yeast so can't comment on that aspect of the repitch, however with liquid yeast you would make a starter and pitch at high krausen into an existing beer. If you just pitch directly into a beer that has little to no oxygen and contains alcohol, the yeast will likely all die. Your best bet those is swirling and warming...I wouldn't bother repitching.

You really should let it go. I would recommend swirling carboy/bucket a few times to rouse as much yeast into suspension and possibly warming it up depending on the current temp. You can easily warm that beer to the mid-70's without risk of off flavors at this point. Those two actions will help the yeast get going again. I don't use dry yeast so can't comment on that aspect of the repitch, however with liquid yeast you would make a starter and pitch at high krausen into an existing beer. If you just pitch directly into a beer that has little to no oxygen and contains alcohol, the yeast will likely all die. Your best bet those is swirling and warming...I wouldn't bother repitching.

I have used US-05 before and what pvault98 said has worked for me in the past. As a guide, I usually wait at least 2 weeks in the primary before taking a reading when using dry yeast, especially if not rehydrated.

Good luck!

Thanks. I will give it a bit of a rock back an forth and see if that helps. The carboy is sitting at 70 degrees taken with an infrared so it should be OK. Usually I am pretty patient and leave batches sit for 2 weeks minimum as well but I haven't brewed in quite awhile so I am anxious and already planning a couple more batches. Plus I have had US-05 stop short on me before so I was a bit worried. That's why I took so many readings to make sure it was actually still going. I think I'm going to start using liquid year more often and I'm planning on washing the yeast from my heffe for the first time when I keg it in a few days.

Thanks. I will give it a bit of a rock back an forth and see if that helps. The carboy is sitting at 70 degrees taken with an infrared so it should be OK. Usually I am pretty patient and leave batches sit for 2 weeks minimum as well but I haven't brewed in quite awhile so I am anxious and already planning a couple more batches. Plus I have had US-05 stop short on me before so I was a bit worried. That's why I took so many readings to make sure it was actually still going. I think I'm going to start using liquid year more often and I'm planning on washing the yeast from my heffe for the first time when I keg it in a few days.

FWIW, when using dry yeast and higher OGs, I just pitch 2 packets and have had good results.

Back