pimp my kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyporter

Reaction score
ok so i have a youngs lager kit that i would like to do something extra with.

having just acquired a fridge and a temperature controller, im thinking about getting a lager yeast (wyeast munich? thoughts here would be greatly appreciated) and dry hopping some hallertau just to spice things up a little as these can kits can be a little bland

what do you guys think? will this turn out ok provided i dont make a hash of my first lagering attempt? are the hops a good idea?

thing is i dont want to do the can on its own because of how bland they are and the ale yeast doesnt make a true lager.

Maybe add some DME for more maltiness? It all depends on what sort of beer you want, and what comes in a young's lager kit. What are the specs (Gravity, IBU, color) of the kit on it's own?

liking the dme idea reckon that would be nice

done have any other info unfortunately but i imagine it is a pale lager around 4.5% from what ive seen in other threads

Keep it simple and light. Focus on the temp to get a crisp smooth lager. That's how I brew them. You'll notice how smooth they are compared to an ale. Peace

thanks wayneh thats exactly what im after something smooth and crisp like you say

i wired up my stc 1000 yesterday and it seems to be working well so hopefully the temps will be right and ill get what im after

Latest posts

Back