Pilsner, overnight, went from nasty to awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
My first lager. Last night it tasted and reeked of diacetyl and I was lamenting having over 4 gallons of this stuff. Tonight, crossing my fingers hoping it improved even slightly, it's now in the realm of the legitimate (czech) pilsners that I love. Whaaaaat? My theory: the nasty stuff settled at the bottom, where the keg dip tube draws from, so that's what I was drinking last night, and in the process over a day allowed the beer clean up too. I've had several servings to see if maybe it was a fluke, but so far it's still awesome.

Cheers! :mug:

I think I agree with you... I kegged a blonde that was 50% pilsner malt, and my first pull off the keg had me thinking "how the hell do I have DMS?! I boiled *vigorously* for 90 minutes".

The beer I pulled the next evening was awesome. And every one since has been just as good.

So while I'm usually pretty good with transferring into the keg w/o much sediment, I'm thinking that first pint was picking up whatever little bits were there.

I remember a Pils/Hallertau SMaSH lager of mine that went from butterbomb to nice and clean within the final gallon. Maybe diacetyl really does stratify.

That "nasty" stuff at the bottom was probably just some yeast. I've found the each yeast tastes a bit different and some of them are just not so pleasant and once you've blown out what has collected around the dip tube, the flavor can change dramatically.

There should be no stratification in the keg. Anything that is dissolved will be uniform throughout the keg. Law of physics/chemistry

Back