Pilsner hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaw94087

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being a Hophead, I’ve only recently come to truly appreciate a good pilsner. The beer that turned my head is Firestone Walkers Pivo Pils. Consequently, I decided to try a clone recipe I found for Pivo Pils. However, after reviewing several other pilsner recipes, I’m thinking that I’d add one more ounce of spalt hops at flameout. Additionally another change is that I’m forced to use "Select Spalt" hops which are perhaps an additional .5-.75% greater AA than listed in the clone recipe. I would appreciate the collective wisdom regarding adding the additional hops at flameout. The recipe is as follows;

Malt
10 lbs German Pilsner 2-row
1 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz. lb Carapils
Hops
1/2 oz. Magnum 14%a, 60 minutes
1 oz. Spalt 4%a, 30 minutes
1 oz. Spalt 4%a, 15 minutes
Yeast: White Labs WLP800 Pilsner Lager Yeast
Dry-Hops: 1 oz. Saphir

I don't think this would throw the beer way out of style. You're still at a pretty low AA hop. I like my Pils a little on the hoppy side.

The brewer at Firestone gives a lot of information about Pivo in an interview on the Brewing Network.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1041

The keys are very high attenuation (88% by my math), and dryhopping. They use 100% pilsner malt and a mash regiment (122, 145, 155, 168) to get great attenuation. Yeast is WLP 830.

So the problem I have is that I'm brewing tomorrow and I have already purchased and mixed the grains and have a starter running with WLP800. I've listened to the interview and Matt states as pointed out by "wonderbread23" the need for a low finishing gravity. So at this point, I'm thinking maybe changing my mash schedule from 154 to a two infusion mash of 145 and 152. Protein rests are not so easy with my setup. What do you guys think? This should lower my finishing gravity by 4 points.
jim

It was not bitter enough. Next time I'll increase hops(IBUs) by 1/3 and start diacetyl rest sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back