Pigs Ear Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhowe007

Reaction score
This may not be the correct section for this but I'm attempting to hit up some people who don't read the recipe section often.

Does anybody have a recipe for Pigs Ear Brown from the NH based Woodstock Inn and Brewery? It's sort of like The Sheds Mountain Ale in Stowe, VT but a little drier and slightly more nuanced (if I remember the Mountain Ale correctly).

All grain preferred but I can convert if somebody has an extract recipe.

Did you have any luck in your search for a Pigs Ear Brown Ale recipe? I have been trying but have not found one.

You could try and e-mail the brewery and see if they could give you any hints. If you find one, let me know. I only get up to NH once a year and I love Pigs Ear. I always bring a few bottles home with me.

The bottled stuff is contract brew with Shipyard in Portland. Shipyard uses the Ringwood yeast, and it is evident in the Pigs Ear that they use that for that beer too. It contributes a lot of the flavor. That would be a great starting point.

Maybe start with a base of about 82% of a British pale ale malt, 15% caramel (some lighter, some darker) and about 3% chocolate malt. OG 1.054 I would probably only use bittering hops to about 25 ibus. Ringwood is the key.

Fantastic. I almost forgot about this thread. I contacted the brewery some time ago asking them for any info but the never called me back. I will work on replicating but my experience is limited.

Hey folks thanks for the help. I am going to try to contact the brewery as well. In the meantime I took a stab in the dark to try to come up with something close. last weekend I brewed an attempt at recreating the recipe (i used beer alchemy to help write the recipe)...

Partial Mash
OG 1.054
IBU 22
SRM 21

UK Pale Ale Malt (5 lb)
60L American crystal (1 lb)
UK Chocolate (8 oz)
UK Black Patent (4 oz)
Light extract (1.5 lb at start of boil/1 lb with 15 min left)
Maltodextrine (4 oz at start of boil)

East Kent Goldings 1 oz 4.5%AA (FWH)
Liberty 1/4 oz 5%AA (15 min)
Willamette 1/4 oz 5.8%AA (5 min)
Liberty 1/4 oz 5%AA (1 min)

I pitched Safale S04 from a starter

I got the idea for the hops from a big sky moose drool recipe because I wasnt sure what to use. Will let you all know how it turns out or if I find anything out from the brewery.

The HBS I go to in leominster has a kit that I have brewed a couple of times and it is real close.

Back