PID with no RTD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I bought the PID over at Auber and was planning to just use it in manual mode with my boil kettle until I have my HLT set up, but it seems that unless I actually have some sort of temperature input on it, it faults to the lowest output setting. Is there a way to trick into thinking I have some temperature input, or do I really just have to buy an RTD that will be measuring nothing for the mean time?

put a 100 ohm resistor where the RTD would go (assuming a PT100 RTD is what it's looking for)

It'll read 32f / 0C then.

Hmm. Ok, so I tried the 100 ohm resistor in all 3 combinations of positions on the PID marked RTD with the setting on pt100 RTD. It still gave me the error message saying no temperature input.

Ok, you'll need to connect two of the pins together to mimic a three wire rtd

so if you have a, b, c pins connect a and b together and put the resistor between b and c.

adjust the pins as appropriate for the pid

... and make sure you have told the PID that you have a RTD temp probe connected. Those things take many different sensor types, and that 100 Ohm resistor is mimicking a pt100 sensor. I think the PIDs come programmed to expect a K-type thermocouple by default.

All, right, I found instructions in the manual to jumper to terminals for a 2 wire RTD as opposed to 3 and that seems to have it working. Thanks so much guys. If you are ever in Idaho Falls PM me and there's a beer or two with your name on it!

Back