Pics of my first IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
So, brewed a North Coast ACME IPA clone.

Two row, carapils, Vienna, Munich & DME - Partial Mash
Clusters at 60 and 30, Northern Brewer at Knockout.

Primary for 4 weeks, Bottled for three weeks, fridge for about 6 hours...I got thirsty!

So initial impression, I love the color and clarity. It looks great. And it holds a really decent head, good lacing, and the head hangs to a nice sheet for the duration.

I'm not picking up any crazy aromas...pretty mellow. 6.4 ABV, 54 IBU. Nothing jumps out. Smells a bit floral, with a hint of honey, little bit of peach.

I'm actually really surprised at how good it tastes. Carbonation might be a bit much...tons of tiny champagne like bubbles, can't really describe it other than it tastes carbed like a Belgian might be. The bitter is there, and it lingers for a while, but not mouth puckering, just a decent dry finish. Can taste the honey as well, and a little fruity. There's a looooong finish...slightly bitter, with a tinge of alcohol. I'm thinking its still green, could use a mellow-sesh in the bottle. I put 6 away in the mini-fridge for a full week to see if that helps. Not bad at all, but present. Just a bit rough, only way I can describe it. Not orange, not green apple, not banana - maybe just some fusels or something.

Anyway, thanks for reading...wanted to put my thoughts down.

Prior to Bottling

photo%2812%29.JPG

3 weeks in the bottle

photo%2818%29.JPG

Beautiful!!

Meatwad

another week or two in the bottle will probably mellow out the fusel taste.
looks tasty!

That's crystal clear, and what a great color! Kyle

Beer looks good, but clarity looks just like mine and I describe it as pretty cloudy. What I'm figuring out is home brewers have a different definition of clear. To me comerical beer is clear, home brew goes from really cloudy to just sort of cloudy like these pic. Actually I've seen a couple pics of some board member's beers that really are crystal clear but I think they filtered them.

brewit2it said:
Beer looks good, but clarity looks just like mine and I describe it as pretty cloudy. What I'm figuring out is home brewers have a different definition of clear. To me comerical beer is clear, home brew goes from really cloudy to just sort of cloudy like these pic. Actually I've seen a couple pics of some board member's beers that really are crystal clear but I think they filtered them.

You're never going to get it much clearer than that without filtering. Many, many, many beers you are buying at the distributor are filtered and you will likely know if they arent by looking at the label. I'm guessing the beer we just saw pictures of is dry hopped as well which will lend some haze.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

You're definitely right on re: the perception of home-brewers. It ain't a filtered out, brite tank, Sierra Nevada, but I've had some beers that were down right chunky-cloudy. The first pic is a good representation of the clarity, second pic is stoopid iphone pic. But , like I said, I was pleased with the clarity and color. Exceeded my expectations!

Thanks for checkin in!

meatwad said:
You're definitely right on re: the perception of home-brewers. It ain't a filtered out, brite tank, Sierra Nevada, but I've had some beers that were down right chunky-cloudy. The first pic is a good representation of the clarity, second pic is stoopid iphone pic. But , like I said, I was pleased with the clarity and color. Exceeded my expectations!

Thanks for checkin in!

Meatwad, my first AG was the ugliest Porter known to man. I didn't use whirlfloc like I do now. My APA that I'm drinking ad I type this was super clear before I dry hopped it. It's still very nice and I couldn't ask for much more.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

meatwad,

Nice job on your first IPA. I just brewed this one last week, so I haven't tasted it yet.

What AA were your cluster hops and how much of each did you use? I was following BYO's clone magazine and it only stated .5 oz at 60min and .5 at 30. I upped it to about .7oz for each, but it still seems like a low amount of hops for an IPA. My clusters were lower than most at around 5.6% according to the LHBS and so my IBUs show in BrewPal as only 28 (Tinseth). How did you get yours up to 54IBU? I'm a little worried that I didn't use enough hops and it will not have enough hop flavor.

Mine are crystal clear after 3-4 weeks before going into the fridge for at least 5 days. That's a good amount of time to clear the initial chill haze from the yeast still in suspension. A high flocculation yeast helps too.

Mine are crystal clear after 3-4 weeks before going into the fridge for at least 5 days. That's a good amount of time to clear the initial chill haze from the yeast still in suspension. A high flocculation yeast helps too.

AFAIK chill haze isn't a result of yeast it's a result of proteins

AFAIK chill haze isn't a result of yeast it's a result of proteins

Yeah that's about it. If you keep the bottles (assuming you bottle) in the fridge for several weeks you can eliminate most if not all chill haze. It requires patience but it is worth it if you want to impress someone with a very clear beer!

Most yeasts will fall out of solution rather quickly once refridgerated with the exception of Heffe yeasts, they do not flocculate well at all!

Back