Pickled Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shown a very basic way of making jalapeno eggs years ago. Buy a gallon jar of jalapenos, boil a dozen eggs, put them in the jar of jalapenos shell on, and leave it for a month. You could start trying one each week in and see the green working it's way through, and they got spicier and greener each week. After a month it was green all the way through and perfect.

I'm gonna have to make them again now, and try the OP's recipe too. Love some pickled eggs.

6CC22775-803D-4AD2-A5F0-C7814B908710.jpeg

Hybrid addition. 1jar of pickled jalapeños, carrots, cauliflower, pickling spice, turmeric, red pepper flakes, topped off with white vinegar.

Miss the jalapeños and carrots in San Diego!

How do you guys make eggs that are easy to peel? I have tried all kinds of things but the results are still inconsistent.
I pour off the boiling water, use my silicone glove to pick up each egg, use a push pin to poke a hole in the fat end, and drop into ice water. When they are cool, the shell peels right off.

I made my batch. I multiplied times 3 for the recipe cause I wanted 2 dozen eggs. I found I had a lot more old the mix and made some more boiled eggs. I got close to 40. I was unable to find the peppers the recipe calls for so I settled for pepperoncini peppers instead. Added everything else accordingly. Tasted it too and it's great. Cant wait to try. I think I'm gonna let mine age about 2 weeks.
20190104_182410.jpeg
20190104_182425.jpeg

Just tried a carrot from my veggie attempt, so far so good! Getting some real spice!

We just started a batch yesterday as well. Doubled the recipe for 16 eggs total.

I may have screwed it up slightly though... I was almost out of white wine vinegar so I got some distilled white vinegar, it was probably a little under 1 cup of the white wine vinegar and a little over a cup of the white vinegar. Hopefully that won't make much of a difference to the final product though.

We just started a batch yesterday as well. Doubled the recipe for 16 eggs total.

I may have screwed it up slightly though... I was almost out of white wine vinegar so I got some distilled white vinegar, it was probably a little under 1 cup of the white wine vinegar and a little over a cup of the white vinegar. Hopefully that won't make much of a difference to the final product though.

I mostly use all distilled white vinegar now since Costco sells it in giant bulk jugs. You will be fine :)

Gonna give this a go tonight. I've never even tried pickled eggs let alone made my own. Will these peppers work? Do you throw the juice in as well or just the peppers? Thanks in advance!
1548639753258.jpeg

An excellent egg recipe. Its close to a friend's pickled fish recipe. Should wait longer for the flavor to really soak in but it is tough. Kinda like homebrew. I even can eat the hard yolk which is something I don't desire in a regular hard boiled egg.

I made 2 batches by re-using one jar of peppers and vinegar. The pepper and vinegar flavor both carried through 2 batches pretty well, but the pickling spice faded some. They were still great, but next time I re-use the brine I will hit it with more spices.

I decided to see what my restaurant supply store could do for me...... I got a gallon each of cheap white wine vinegar and peppers, each tasting about as good as the more expensive options available at the grocery store.

My next batch is pickling now, with these ingredients plus some garlic and onions. Can't wait to try it.

upload_2019-2-4_21-6-1.png

Wish I could find those peppers at my restaurant supply store. I have made these so many times and never noticed the recipe called for white wine vinegar, DOH! I have been using white distilled vinegar all this time. Guess I’ll have to try the white wine and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

When combined with the rest of the ingredients I bet the difference between vinegars would be subtle so I doubt you missed much.

This cheap stuff is surprisingly tasty actually, it's getting use in my HBT homemade mustard endeavors too...

I made a batch. When you finish them (I only made 8 so it won't take long) do you usually add more eggs and do it again or remake the brine and clean the container? If they are good I am gonna make a ton more

Might be a stupid question but do you drain the peppers? Sorry if i missed it in the thread.

No. You want the brine from the peppers. I tend to only use about half the peppers though as they don’t all fit into the jar. I put them in another jar with some vinegar to use later.

So i just made these and looking back through the thread I see that the ingredients state "White Wine Vinegar" but some people used White Distilled Vinegar. They aren't the same thing so i was wondering if anyone did it both ways and prefers one over the other? I used the distilled vinegar myself.

So i just made these and looking back through the thread I see that the ingredients state "White Wine Vinegar" but some people used White Distilled Vinegar. They aren't the same thing so i was wondering if anyone did it both ways and prefers one over the other? I used the distilled vinegar myself.
I use just straight white vinegar now, and they are still good.

Thanks for the responses. I seemed to have to keep degassing mine. The lid of my Ball jar kept bulging out and building pressure. Anyone else experience this?

Since thread creation, I have made 2 large batches of eggs, moved 1,700 miles from CO to WI and finally got around to firing up another batch! This one is 144 eggs.

I think I am going to look in to some food grade 5 gallon buckets and just pickle them 5 gallons at a time!

So my 5 gallon bucket of eggs idea is on hold, but I did standardize everything so I’m not guessing on what to buy when I run to the bulk food store.

I got 4 gallon jars from Amazon that have multi use lids for the containers. No more multiple random sized pickle jars.

We like the eggs spicy so per gallon jar:

2 jars of the Mezzetta Hot peppers (and juice)
48 eggs
Rest of spices

This method takes just under a gallon of Vinegar too and there is no more guessing on how many eggs to buy. I live closest to a Sams club now and their pre peeled hard boiled eggs are 24 packs.

8 packs (of 24) eggs
8 jars of hot peppers
1 gal vinegar
1 3.25 oz of pickling spice*
Pepper corns*
Salt*
Turmeric*

*This is generally stuff I keep on hand anyways so I only restock if I know I am getting low.

This makes 192 eggs in a manageable container size.

Attachments

• F75741A3-1733-4B81-96D6-A830E84E8D39.jpeg
    F75741A3-1733-4B81-96D6-A830E84E8D39.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
Been a fan of this site for years going back to my making hard cider and kombucha . I've graduated to pickling and sausage making since then and love making pickled vegetables and pickled eggs. Just thought I'd share a few of my doings. Pickled eggs two ways.

Attachments

• TS7pickledeggs.jpg
    TS7pickledeggs.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back