Pickled Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanniek71

Reaction score
I am creating this thread, as I kind of threadjacked the Penrose Sausage thread when I mentioned pickled eggs. I will post my recipe (Which is Joe Josts recipe, a 90+ year old pub in Long Beach CA where I first encountered these amazing eggs)

Recipe can be found here

And for those that don't want to click elsewhere:

Ingredients:

8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 (12 ounce) jar yellow chili peppers - I use these
2 tablespoons pickling spice
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 scant cups water
(1 tablespoon sugar) - I leave this out as I feel its not needed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients except eggs together in a glass jar with tight-fitting lid. Put peeled eggs in liquid. Top off with water to fill jar. Don't refrigerate. Keep eggs in sealed jar at least two days before using. May refrigerate after two days.I usually leave them out for 10 days to soak up as much flavor as possible, and then refrigerate them.

Also a note on the recipe, this makes 8 eggs, I usually make them in batches of anywhere from 50-80 eggs! They are so good that they will not last!

Attachments

• Picled eggs.jpg
    Picled eggs.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 440
Although I have never had these eggs from this bar, I can attest in general that pickled eggs are awesome. Growing up in Wisconsin they are in pretty much every bar.

I will certainly be making these!

50 to 80 eggs that’s crazy thanks for posting though I would never make that many

The best pickled eggs I have ever tasted were done by dropping the boiled and peeled eggs in the juice from home grown pickled beets with red onions. We also save the juice from pickled jalapenos and use that.

Boil for 10 to 15 minutes with a bit of salt in the water. When you pull the pan off of the burner put it in the sink and run cold water into it for 2 or 3 minutes. Drain off about half of the water and top off with ice. Once the eggs have soaked for 5 or 10 minutes they usually peel easily. If you have any problem eggs after this peel them under the faucet while running cold water.

I've tried a bunch of methods and can never get the eggs to peel right. The Costco peeled eggs are like $9.32 for 32 count so it takes most of the work out of it for me lol. I make the brine, dump the eggs in and go.

I fit 16 eggs into a quart jar. A glass fermentation weight on the top keeps them below the liquid level. I followed the recipe in the link but scaled everything up to account for the 16 oz jar of peppers I found. Didn't need to add any top-up water, in fact, I didn't quite need all of the water the recipe called for.

The brine tastes great. Now, the waiting....

upload_2018-12-7_19-3-45.png

I fought this battle for years and I can't remember where I found this technique. But if you add some(1/4 to 1/2 cup) white vinegar and some salt to the water, bring to a boil, add eggs and boil for 14 minutes. They come out perfectly done and easy to peel.

Decided to make some of these eggs tonight along with another batch tonight....

Your method worked awesome for pealing! Thanks for the tip!

I thought I was pretty $#^&#@ cool for promptly posting my one sad jar of 16 eggs, but now I just want to hang my head in shame.

Nah man at least you made some! I make this many because my wife, 3 daughters and I love them and my friends all the sudden show up more when they know I’ve made them...

Used to be a pub staple in England but very rare to see a pickled egg in a pub now. They are in virtually all fish and chip shops though!

Not had one in years but this thread has got me tempted to go get some :) Or make some of course!

I was lazy and used a mix from the store bulk bins. I spotted allspice, cloves, and dried red peppers... Probably crumbled bay leaf too. Not sure what else was in there.

Thanks a lot, dammit. The craving became overwhelming and I had to go make a batch :)

I fought this battle for years and I can't remember where I found this technique. But if you add some(1/4 to 1/2 cup) white vinegar and some salt to the water, bring to a boil, add eggs and boil for 14 minutes. They come out perfectly done and easy to peel.
Also add a little baking soda to that mix helps a lot also. I havent tried it with just vinegar yet though.

Any baking soda you add would neutralize some of the acid in the vinegar, so I would do one or the other. It's possible that it is some other aspect other than the acid or base which helps, though.

Hey, can we re-use the brine for another batch of eggs?

Regardless I am gonna have to start buying the ingredients in giant Restaurant Depot sizes. :)

Any baking soda you add would neutralize some of the acid in the vinegar, so I would do one or the other. It's possible that it is some other aspect other than the acid or base which helps, though.

Hey, can we re-use the brine for another batch of eggs?

Regardless I am gonna have to start buying the ingredients in giant Restaurant Depot sizes. :)

Restaurant depot.... god I love that place lol. I always get in trouble when I go in there!

It is age related guys. The fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel. It is that simple, really.

You’d think that, and I’ve been told that many times before. I’ve tried fresh eggs, a few week old eggs and even a month + eggs and none of them peeled great.

Now I buy pre shelled eggs and the process is so much faster. I made 160 pickled eggs last night in under 30 minutes. I’d still be peeling 160 eggs if I did it the traditional way

If you are a purist, more power to you, I prefer convenience!

Are you adding the brine from the peppers as well?

Yes, the whole jar peppers and all go in. Warning though the peppers I use are very spicy. If you aren’t a huge spice fan you may want to use the milder peppers of the same brand

Decided to make some of these eggs tonight along with another batch tonight....

Your method worked awesome for pealing! Thanks for the tip!

Glad it worked for you. This is the only method for me that seems to work 99% of the time. Everyone once in a while I'll get a stubborn egg. But the rest peel very easy. I boil eggs almost weekly and put a bowl of them in the fridge. Hard boiled eggs are a quick go to in the morning when everyone is in a rush and don't want to make time for breakfast.

371A0FD3-367F-43BB-BB99-971793680E65.jpeg

Made them mid-day Saturday... had to try one a few minutes ago. That’s definitely a go to recipe now! I’m sure it will only get better with time. At least twice a day I’ve tipped it upside down to coat.

The other quart jar is basically the same recipe, substitute the turmeric with horseradish. When I’d come home on leave, my Dad and I had a tradition of going to this dive bar for a beer and pickled egg. With each bite you would put some horseradish and a few drops of hot sauce on top.

I think the horseradish one is going to take longer to flavor.

Back