Picked 2 lbs of Fresh Cascade This AM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went down to a local hop farm and I picked 2.2 pounds of fresh Cascades off the bines. It smelled AMAZING! My hands are still sticky with hop oils. I also bought 12 ounces of super fresh hop pellets, I believe they were pelletized last week. The pellets smell heavenly. The whole lot cost all of $32.

I got them from the De Smet farm in Bosque Farms, New Mexico. Nice farm and really cool guys working there. I'd recommend anyone in the Albuquerque area go down and either pick some fresh hops or buy some fresh pellets. There plants are 2 years old. They said they anticipate several tons worth of hops next year!

Now I need to formulate some recipes and get to brewing.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

That's very cool. A hop yard that will let you pick your own. Man I wish we had something like that around here.

Is that 2.2 # wet or dry?

It was 2.2 wet, although I picked a lot that felt pretty dry. I have them laid out on a screen in the garage, which gets to about 110 during the afternoon. I'll weigh them in a day or so and see what the dry weight is. My food saver is going to get a workout.

The Sierra Nevada t-shirt I was wearing during the picking has a yellow lupulin stripe on the shoulder from brushing against hops. I was rocking hop cologne all afternoon.

The pellets they had at the farm were pretty amazing. I had never crushed up and smelled a week old pellet before. The aroma was almost overwhelming. I'm drinking a Hopsickle IIPA right now and wondering how many oz's it takes to get this kind of aroma and flavor.

Are those pictures of the hops on the bine representative of how they should look before being harvested. If so, I picked mine a wee bit early. Those look fairly dry.

Latest posts

Back