Phosphoric acid 85% handling safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used 85% phosphoric acid for a little while now and haven't had any issue. Of course I follow standard precautions, avoid skin contact and wash hands immediately after use just in case. I'm sure someone with more technical information will respond but that's been my experience.

The “right” answer in an industrial setting would be goggles, gloves, lab coat, long pants, and closed-toe shoes.

At home, I would not do it without safety goggles — real ones, designed for laboratory use. It wouldn’t be crazy to set up an eyewash bottle and keep it nearby. That’s where I’d draw the line between “reasonable precautions” and “still enjoying the hobby.”

The “right” answer in an industrial setting would be goggles, gloves, lab coat, long pants, and closed-toe shoes.

At home, I would not do it without safety goggles — real ones, designed for laboratory use. It wouldn’t be crazy to set up an eyewash bottle and keep it nearby. That’s where I’d draw the line between “reasonable precautions” and “still enjoying the hobby.”

So essentially no more dangerous than lactic acid at similar concentrations, right?

Here's the MSDS's. That you're asking speaks to your caution. Looks like pretty much the same precautions.
..and thanks @AlexKay for mentioning the eye-wash..with all the activities I've engaged in I've kept one on hand and had to use it a few times for metal slag and for chemicals, good to mention here for folk who have never thought they had reason to have such. Even a simple contoured eye-wash cup, water and witch-hazel should be in everyones medicine cabinet..shot-glasses are not a good substitute.
https://www.fishersci.com/store/msd...endorId=VN00033897&countryCode=US&language=enhttps://www.sigmaaldrich.com/CA/en/sds/ALDRICH/W261114

I'm gonna have to jump in here @Unicorn_Platypus and recommend making up a liter of 30% phosphoric (I think there's a post by @Silver_Is_Money somewhere I used). I bought a quart of 85% and was having to add such immeasurably small hundredths of ml that it was painful.

[Edit: found it here]
In Bru'n Water the volume of 85% phosphoric acid suggested for adjustments to lower PH seems only 75% less in volume (to that of a dose 88% lactic)

Am I misunderstanding that phosphoric at similar concentration has significantly more potent effect on PH adjustment than lactic?

For example, in Bru'n Water, a 4.6ml addition of 85% Phosphoric seems similar to a 6ml dose of 88% lactic

When I plug it into Bru'n Water the recommended dose of 85% Phosphoric appears to be equivalent to 3/4 the dose of the 88% lactic

Last edited:
Back