Philly Rowhome Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thespiff

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,

I've been mostly lurking since I got my starter kit of homebrewing equipment for Christmas, and it's probably time to introduce myself a bit before I start asking for recipe critiques.

I'm a long-time enjoyer of beer, and I also really enjoy cooking, so homebrewing has been on my radar as a fun hobby for a few years. Now that I have equipment, I'm hooked, and maybe I've become a little bit obsessive. It's tough for me to keep my turkey baster out of the fermenter and patiently wait out the process.

I live in Philadelphia, in the city, surrounded by fantastic beer bars and decent microbreweries. Also, lots of homebrewers. I felt really late to the game getting into it now.

I have a mini-fridge kegerator in my basement which can hold a sixtel or corny and the beer line runs to a tap tower on my kitchen countertop. I've got an 8-gallon brew kettle which doesn't fit between my stovetop and cabinet undermount microwave so I have to pull out my stove a bit to boil. I'm sticking with extract brewing for now, I need to purge some junk from my basement before I'll consider filling it back up with mashing equipment.

I've brewed a batch per month since Christmas, 4 in total at this point. The first was an English Bitter Kit, which came out OK, and went on tap. Not really my style so I dunno, it was a gift. The second was an American Pale Ale kit which I augmented with extra LME and hops to try and make it an IPA around 7% from the ~5% kit. I screwed up a lot of things on brew day, and I blew the top off of my fermenter, but Fail Whale Pale Ale came out ok (until it oxidized due to a poorly purged keg). I just finished a month of keg cellaring a Belgian Golden and it's carbing up now. It follows a Duvel Clone recipe from BYO magazine. It's still unnamed. And yesterday I bottled my 4th brew, a Citra/Simcoe Double IPA I brewed Easter Monday that I'm calling "Zombie Jesus". It's a recipe of my own design which is heavily based on forum lurking here.

My homebrew aspirations at this point are to nail down a great Fruity/Citrusy IPA/DIPA recipe that can be my "house" IPA. I also love Belgians, so I will keep iterating on that Belgian Golden recipe, and work on a Saison too. Come fall, I hope to make a couple of apple ciders because the lady friend likes those and they seem too easy NOT to make.

Ok that's plenty from me. Greetings all!

I'm in Fishtown, which is a particularly solid beer neighborhood.

Back