Pharma Grade Stir Plate is really loud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallr

Reaction score
I bought a used pharmaceutical research grade stir plate used online and when I first recevied it, it hardly made a sound. Now it is making some sort of vibrating noise. Would taking it apart and spraying it with some WD-40 have a good chance to fix the problem? The noise goes away when I grab the top plate and lift it off the ground.

I doubt WD-40 would do anything but there might be something loose, or it could be a bearing going wonky.

Its weird that when I set it on some padding or hold it...the noise ceases. Is there a way to fix the bearings? I thought stir plates ran off electric motors.

Also make sure the feet are level. If that's not it you'll need to take it apart and make sure everything's tight and the rotor is balanced.

the noise stops on padding because the feet aren't balanced, we always have small stir plates and even small centrifuges on stacks of paper towels to dampen the noise caused by the slightly uneven feet knocking against the bench top

Back