PH up for my pool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
While dosing my pool chemicals this evening, I was adding a little pH up and was looking at the ingredients on the bottle and it listed the only ingredient as "100% potassium carbonate". I think everyone see's where I'm going with this.

Opinions?

By the way, I then checked my latest batch that has been pitched for about 48 hours now and the pH was about 3.1.

Greg

Well potassium carbonate can certainly be used to adjust mead pH. I don't know if your pool chemicals are food grade, and whether it will contain any contaminants (such as metals) that could be a potential problem, but it all likelihood, the amount would be so small as to be insignificant. Still, I'm not sure I'd want to do it.

you could use it with no ill affects. Heck...I have a large pool..and for my pH up...I use baking soda..same thing and for bringin pH down muriatic acid. Why pay for expensive pool chems..when you can buy the same thing in the grocery section of your local quicky mart for pennies on the dollar.

Many of the pool chemicals are actually food grade, i have learned. I learned this because I buy bulk chemical from a supply house that specializes in pool at drinking water treatment. the chemical is the same, the only difference is the MSDS they provide. YRMV.

you could use it with no ill affects. Heck...I have a large pool..and for my pH up...I use baking soda..same thing and for bringin pH down muriatic acid. Why pay for expensive pool chems..when you can buy the same thing in the grocery section of your local quicky mart for pennies on the dollar.

Actually, the baking soda is to raise alkalinity...but that is another website.

Baking soda and Potassium carbonate are not the same. I don't like to add sodium to my wines and meads. Potassium is not a problem, and in fact, it helps the yeast cope with the low pH as it is taken intracellularly, so potassium agents are definitely a better choice.

Back